We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

We are looking at a 7 night trip to Fiji and after some research, I have narrowed it down to:

2 nights at the Radisson Blu in Denarau

5 nights at either Malolo or Castaway

I had pretty much decided on Malolo but then Castaway came up on the radar. I have read some other posts but the info is a few years old now.

I would like to know how the meals work? At Malolo, there are set times for the kids to eat (on the Kids Eat Free package). If we dine with them, do we have to have the buffet or can we dine a la carte? If we want to eat later, I guess they eat early and then go to the kids club? Sorry, we've not stayed anywhere with a kids clu before - not sure how it works!

Does anyone have a preference for Castaway or Malolo or are they very similar? Malolo seems to be booking up quickly for our dates so need to make a decision asap.

Thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
327 reviews
1. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

At Malolo kids are kept quite separate from the adults so if you want to eat as a family, you are restricted to the buffet. That being said, the food at Malolo is quite exceptional for the buffet. For kids of your age, I would pay the extra and go Castaway on so many levels it is 100% on Malolo which is more suited to very young kids or teens.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
2. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

I am not sure if Castaway has 2 bedroom Bures but Malolo does so that would be my choice.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
327 reviews
3. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Castaway has a variety of bures just like Malolo. 😊

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
150 reviews
4. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Castaway can offer you two bedroom bures. I too would go to Castaway. It is more expensive but Malolo is a good second choice. .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
5. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Just to compare Malolo Island is just over half the cost of Castaway island but they may have special deals from time to time. Both are close to one another so transfer costs are the same FJ$125:( each way for adults)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

We were at Malolo this year and Castaway last year.

At Malolo everyone eats the same buffet breakfast. Lunch for the kids is in the Terrace restaurant between 12-2. There are a number of tables that they put the kids food out on and the adults order from al-a-carte. If your kids don't like what's on offer or you want to eat down at the beach bar, they can order from the kids menu but you will be charged for this. We did this for a couple of lunches as the kids didn't like what was there.

They do the same at dinner from 5.30-6.30. A few times we sat with the kids, dropped them off at the kids club then went down to the beach bar or treetops for ourselves. Sometimes we went up at 6pm and all sat & ate together where adults ate off the menu and kids ate their free buffet.

The adults buffet is out 3 times a week. I thought you could still order from the al-a-carte menu apart from the Meke night.

You will have a great time at either resort. I found the food & bure better at Malolo but there were a number of things that push Castaway ahead - although you pay more for it as well.

Enjoy

Edited: 04 July 2018, 03:33
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Can anybody provide a promo code for castaway? Also, is it cheaper to book through a travel agent or the resort directly? Can somebody recommend a Sydney based travel agent?

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Thanks all. We have made a reservation at Malolo. Castaway looks amazing but Malolo is best suited to our budget.

Thanks John S for the great dining info!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
9. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Fruchocs. I don't think you will be disappointed with you choice of resort.

Have fun and enjoy the Fijian Hospitality.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
150 reviews
10. Re: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?

Nice resort kids have own pool, beautiful location and views, lovely lagoon, comfortable bures. Enjoy.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 06:38
Reply to: Malolo or Castaway? Two kids (7 and 4) - dining/kids club?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted