We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort with fire dancing?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Resort with fire dancing?

Hello, I'm taking my 5yr old daughter to Fiji for the first time in May.

We will be staying in a traditional village on Wayasewa island for 5 days but would like 2 nights in a resort at the end to spoil her as a surprise. I would like it to be under $150 AUD a night .... with nightly fire dancing/performances (do these happen daily or only weekends?)... buffet meals ... massages on site.... activities like waterfall trips, paddle boarding, snorkeling .... beach side with sandy beaches/clear & calm water ... maybe even a kids club...

AND easy and quick (under 1 hour) to get to the Nadi airport.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

(Any other suggestions for kids activities or special experiences not to be missed would be appreciated too!)

11 replies to this topic
Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Bula RobynL - Popular resorts for kids can be at Port Denarau (gateway for the ferries transfers etc.). But under $150 per night - will be difficult. Raddison is very popular for kids as big swimming pools, near restaurants (at Port Denarau) and the Bula Water Park (Port Denarau). But the beaches at Denarau are from reclaimed mangrove swamp areas and black sand, not like the island beaches with clear waters and white sands. Most of the resorts in this area have kids clubs. Well under an hour to get back to Nadi Airport. Plenty of massage facilities at all resorts or outside. Waterfalls - no, you would have to travel out of this area, mainly on the Coral Coast or inland from Nadi area. This would involve accessing a local tour. Nightly fire dancing - not every night but (free) in the midst of the Port Denarau area there is a cultural night, fire dancing, traditional dancing and performances from memory they are on a Friday night. All resorts in this area provide some sort of cultural entertainment - usually the resort perimeter torches are lit each night around 6pm and children are welcome to participate. A visit to a local orphanage or local school may suit. If you join the facebook page 'Holidaying in Fiji Discussion' there is a wealth of information here.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
298 reviews
2. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Have a look at Naviti Resort on the Coral Coast. They used to do it but haven't been there in 8 or so years so you would need to check

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Hi Baz, I did reply to your PM but I think there's a glitch in TA's new messaging format when it comes to sending replies. Apologies for being off topic Robyn. For accommodation that is kind to the wallet but close to Nadi and ticks some (not all) of your boxes you could take a look at Aquarius on the Beach...

https://www.aquariusfiji.com/

With only two nights to spare and coming back the distance you'll be traveling from Wayasewa island I'm thinking you won't want to being traveling even further. You'll find nicer (larger - more bells and whistles) resorts out on Denarau (wih the associated larger cost of course) but perhaps you could use a small, yet comfortable, place like Aquarius as a base for those two nights and do a day trip of some kind for your one full day. It offers adequate rooms (the ones with ocean facing balconies are the best - excellent sunset viewing), nice - small - pool in front of restaurant area (good to sit and supervise if your daughter wants to spend quite a bit of time in the pool). The food was very nice when we stayed (there was an included breakfast selection - not fancy but all decent), drinks (cocktails) were a tick :) staff were lovely and it's basically around the back of the airport on the main beach of Nadi. This is not an island beach - not white sand and lagoon stuff - but there are palm trees, you can swim and kayak (wouldn't bother with snorkeling there) and, when we were there horse back riding on the beach was being offered right outside of Aquarius (something your daughter might enjoy perhaps?). The fire dancing, I'm not sure of the nights but when we stayed right as we finished our dinner and strolled down to the beach the resort down a bit (Smugglers - we didn't much enjoy our stay there - they mucked up our booking and various other things) anyway, they had a fireshow down on the beach. We were right there so got to see everything for no 'admission cost' as such. It was a brilliant way to finish up the evening.

Best of luck wherever you decide on and have a wonderful time during your village stay (pack insect repellent and an anti-itch cream and, if possible, some small gifts suitable to give to villager's).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
4. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Normally they have a fire dancing show at the Shangri-La Fijian resort but it is around 90 minutes from Nadi Airport.

How are you getting back to the mainland from Wayasewa island?.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Thanks so much for that! I ended up booking the MERCURE Nadi because there is a lovely children's playground, lots of shady trees and a couple of pools... I think we'll be beached out after our village stay at Wayasewa so this will be a nice change and my daughter will be thrilled with just having a pool and playground! (She's not a big beach fan like me!) ... would love to spend our last night watching a fire dancing show on the beach though.....

Townsville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

I'll be getting to Lautoka Wharf from Wayasewa island by private boat - the villagers we are staying with will take us in their boat:) so excited for that! ... then a bus or taxi to Nadi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
7. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

We stay at the Mercure hotel all the time when we go to the islands. We find it great for an overnight stop and to get some snacks.

We eat at the restaurant and use the pool there (only one pool that I know of)

Just for your information there is a cinerma (there maybe a movie there for your daughter) and a jetpoint supermarket (for your cheap snacks, drinks etc about 300mtrs down the road

http://www.lifecinemas.com.fj/times

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

You're most welcome Robyn and I see no reason you can't enjoy a fire dancing show on the beach somewhere if you're willing to investigate a bit and catch a taxi for a short ride. Contact the resort you've booked at for further info of things in the area as well as the two I've mentioned and ask them for dates/nights when they do this. It might mean booking for dinner there to ensure your timing or it could be a case of just turning up at the right time to enjoy the show. I'm sure there are other options other posters could let you know about as well - what night of the week is it that you hope to go on?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
9. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Maybe you could check this out for one of the nights you are in Nadi.(at the Mercure hotel).

www.fiji.travel/us/dining/dinner-show

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,455 posts
282 reviews
10. Re: Resort with fire dancing?

Just read this report on another forum.

Robinson. Crusoe night tour has lovo, fire walking and the MOST AMAZING fire dancing show.

We stayed at Denarau island and there is free fire dancing shows on most nights, which is great.

But Robinson Crusoe fire dancers are amazing and well worth the trip.

Reply to: Resort with fire dancing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted