We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Hello, my mum wants to book a family holiday for my grandmothers 80th in June.

Myself and my three siblings are in our early 30's, then my mum, grand mother and grandfather are going. My grandmother wants to go to FIJI but none of us know much about it or what island would be best suitable.

We will be spending lots of time at the beach, exploring, (my siblings will want to do lots of outdoorsy stuff without the older ones as well) and we will be staying at cheap hotels or airbnb :)

Thanks x

9 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Maybe its best if we fly to one island and back to australia from another one, or the other side of the main one?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
653 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Nadi (NAN) is the main International airport for Fiji. Particularly so for tourists. So as a tourist there isn't really any open jaw opportunities in Fiji.

When you and your grandmother think of Fiji, are you thinking of white sands, blue water and palm trees, or are you more interested in a bunch of 4-5 star hotels with a series of in ground pools that could be anywhere warm in the world?

If it's white sandy beaches, then start looking at resorts in the Mamanucas or the Yasawas (with extra costs to get to and from Denerau via boat or helicopter, or plane).

If it's 4-5 star resort (on a reclaimed swamp where you could be anywhere in the world) then check out Denerau.

Otherwise, look at the Coral Coast (again on the mainland) which does have white sand beaches.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
289 reviews
3. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Have a look at Yatule Resort on the white sandy Natadola Beach or the nearby Intercontinental Hotel.

Not too far south of Nadi. It may suit your needs.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
150 reviews
4. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Navini has something for everyone. They meet you at the airpirt, take you to a marina onto their own noat and you are on the island within an hour of landing. Small resort lots to do activity wise including inclusive offshore morning excursions. Variety of accommodation to suit. No long walks to anywhere, dining area is being renovated and extended at present. Good food. Nothing is too much trouble.

We first went there 29 years ago and it is still our favourite Fiji resort.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
289 reviews
5. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

<<<Myself and my three siblings are in our early 30's>>>

<<<We will be spending lots of time at the beach, exploring, (my siblings will want to do lots of outdoorsy stuff without the older ones as well)>>>

Not a real lot to do on Navini Island for people in their 30's.Very small island with morning boat excursions always back for lunch and then the whole afternoon to sit around or snorkel.

I think the people in their early 30's would get bored very soon although the Staff and the meals are great.

Resorts on the Coral coast may be of interest like the Shangri-La Fijian resort. Golf/fire dancing shows buses into town plus tours available from the reception area.

And lastly no Island transfer fees from the mainland.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
150 reviews
6. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Navini has hobi cats, su paddle boards, kayaks, sea cycles, along with the snorkeling, fishing, dolphin searching, island hopping trips offered a different one each day and snorkeling off the beach, the reef has reef sharks, lobsters, turtles, eagle rays, lots of fish and the coral is growing back our family was never at a loss for something to do, we have traveled with children, teens, young adults, the offspring of our children, they never want to leave. There is no pool but you don't need one with the lagoon. The big plus is these activities are all inclusive which equates to a huge saving.

We have travelled to other resorts with family too and the next favourite of the young ones was Castaway Island Resort.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
150 reviews
7. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Sorry not just me that misread your request for cheaper hotels or airbnb. Don't think the latter is in Fiji yet.

Naviti Resort, Carosoes on the Coral Coast may suit the budget better. Some Coral Coast resorts offer specials from time to time your travel agent can help or it is usual for resorts to advertise in the Sunday newspapers.

On the nainland the white sand beaches and lagoons are on the Coral Coast. Plantation Island resort would probably be the best of the islands that may suit the budget.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 05 February 2018, 02:06
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
327 reviews
8. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Hideaway Fiji have some great packages and offer an authentic Fiji experience. First Landing Resort have villas with private pools that the family could have to themselves whilst still enjoying all the resort facilities. Another option could be a holiday home booked through Musket Cove Resort where you also get to utilise resort facilities on the island.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
298 reviews
9. Re: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults

Pull out the Sunday Papers. In the paper from the Murdoch Stable they have advertising from some of the major resorts. So I would have a gander at what is on offer.

Beautiful beaches really are the domain of the islands.

I would possibly look at First Landing Resort which is next to Vuda Point Marina. It is a lovely setting, it is 3 star but has lovely meals. Beach however is not great but it is easy for the older person to get around. We took my mother in law in October and she loved it. There is also things to do in reasonable proximity like the Garden of the Sleeping Giant and the pool is good. Outlook over the Mamanuca islands is good so I would have a look at that.

I did review the place after our stay so have a gander at that

Reply to: 12 days in Fiji. What island? first family holiday as adults
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted