We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

Hi,

We will be making a short visit to Montevideo. We would like to stay in a nice hotel in an area where there are coffee shops and restaurants within walking distance. I nice view from the hotel would be nice as well. Where would you suggest?

6 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,583 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

You might like the Punta Carretas neighborhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Carretas

Barrios of Montevideo:

http://bit.ly/2bdCQme

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

I second Punta Carretas. You could also look at Pocitos or Centro. It all depends on your preferences and travel style.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,122 posts
288 reviews
3. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

I can't think of one hotel with a great view in Centro. I think there are some in Pocitos. If you can, you may want to consider Carrasco's Sofitel. While far from typical touristy areas, that area is very nice, and Sofitel is likely to have some (very expensive) rooms with sea view.

Pocitos is also an option for great views of the river. Any hotel on or close to the sea will have a nice view.

Downtown (Centro) not so much. Maybe the Radisson with a view to the Plaza?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,583 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

The front rooms of the Radisson have nice views of Centro’s Plaza Independencia. And the hotel is just steps away from some of the Old City restaurants and coffee shops.

The Radisson is also very near the Oro del Rhin Confiteria, which has been around since the 1930's and is housed in a beautiful Art Deco building at Convencion 1403 esq. Colonia. The ambiance is reminiscent of the pastry and coffee houses of pre-war Europe.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,122 posts
288 reviews
5. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

The original Oro del Rhin wasn't looking very nice when I last visited (October 2017). One dining area was closed with chairs over tables and all visible. Restrooms in poor condition. Service was not great either. Not what it once was--back in the 60s. But yes, pastries are still excellent.

In Ciudad Vieja, for a similar experience only that it is not a tea house like Oro del Rhin, I'd recommend Cafe Brasileiro (founded in 1877). Very well kept and good for lunch, coffee or tea time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?

Thanks for your responses.

Reply to: 1st Time to Montevideo, Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted