We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Aguas Calientes

Cumbria, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Aguas Calientes

Hello,

We have just booked accomodation in the sacred valley for a week over xmas and we will have our own cars ( 2 of them being 4 wheel drives ). Our party is mixed in age and fitness and although the younger ones would love to do the 4 day hike we simply wont have the time. Is it possible to drive ourselves to Agua Calientes or do you have to get the train? After that some could choose the bus up and some could walk?

I beleive even if we got an early train It is all too much to do in a day ? I was hoping to visit on xmas day to make the day extra special!!

4 replies to this topic
Cumbria, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Aguas Calientes

Sorry have just looked this up for myself...no roads up there !!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Aguas Calientes

You are correct, the only way to get to Aguas calientes is by train or long hikes.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Aguas Calientes

Correction to the above, you can drive to Hydroelectrica, but there is no secure parking there, your best bet would be to drive as far as Santa Teresa and park the cars in a garage, then take a taxi to Hydroelectrica. from there you can hike 2 hours or take a shorter and cheaper 20 minute train to Aguas Calientes. The down side of this is that it well take the better part of a day just traveling, for each direction, so you may not have the time to do this.

Edited: 27 October 2017, 13:55
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Aguas Calientes

So, yes the only way to get to Aguas calientes is by train or long hikes…

(even if you drive close to 4 hours to Hydroelectrica from the Sacred Valley to take the TRAIN or HIKE from there)

I would not recommend taking the train from Hydroelectric, because you would use 3 full days to visit Machu Picchu this way staying 2 nights in Aguas Calientes.

1 day to get to Aguas Calientes , 1 day to visit Machu Picchu & 1 day to travel back to sacred valley or Cusco city. You could do it in 2 days, but your MP visit would be very rushed.

The train is not so cheap from there either, I think it cost US $62.00 round trip & they only have 2 departures a day.

Reply to: Driving to Aguas Calientes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted