We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Questions

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Questions

We are thinking of returning to Peru in August for a second visit; our first (2 weeks) was 10 years ago. This time we would like to revisit Lima, Cuzco and Arequipa, but also visit Puno/Lake Titicaca, take the new Belmond train, fly over the Nazca lines, and either relax at a resort in Paracas or try an Amazon jungle lodge for 3 nights.

I have so far been able to plan the following: arrive in Lima (3 nights), fly from Lima to Cuzco (3 nights), train from Cuzco to Puno (overnight), 2 nights in Puno, take a bus from Puno to Arequipa... and then what? I can't figure out how to get to Paracas. The 11 hour bus ride is NOT an option, and it doesn't look like there are any flights from Arequipa to Paracas or Nazca. Should we just fly back to Lima and then fly from Lima to Iquitos to stay in a jungle lodge? Fly back to Lima and take a shorter bus ride to Paracas? Which is more worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
NYC
Level Contributor
92 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Questions

We rented a car at the Lima airport and then drove to Paracas. Spent a few nights in Paracas itself, then followed up with a night at a vinyard in Ica before driving back. It can be done but is not for the faint of heart.

Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Questions

I would suggest Iquitos. If you've never been there, it is definitely worth it. Ica/Paracas is nice, but it is fairly similar to other desert/beach areas. The jungle of Iquitos is amazing!! I stayed in Amazon EcoLodge, but there are many great lodges there. Two nights in the jungle and 1 night in Iquitos was enough for us. It's VERY hot and humid, but find a lodge with a pool and you'll be great.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Questions

Thanks, Stephanie. I think the Iquitos region would be fascinating, but the hotels/lodges I would want to stay at are more expensive than even the best 5-star hotels I have booked in Lima, Cusco, and Arequipa. Unless I find a great deal, I think I will try to plan around Paracas. Plus that would give me a good base from which to take a trip to the Nazca lines, right?

Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Questions

Yes, Iquitos can be remote and not as comfortable as a nice hotel. In that case, I'm sure paracas would be great, and it is a close distance to Nazca from there!

Reply to: Itinerary Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted