We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight arriving midnight, safe?

sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight arriving midnight, safe?

I need to fly Toronto -> Lima. The direct flight is scheduled to land 0:30am, half an hour after midnight.

Is it safe to take a taxi to wherever I'm going to stay at that hour? Or should I book an indirect flight to arrive at a more decent hour?

If arriving 0:30 is acceptable, is there any neighbourhood I should avoid to book my hotel/hostel in? I would like to stay in a central location, be able to walk to places and with easy access to PeruHop.

Will hotel/hostel accept late check in? I assume I'd arrive at the lodging around 2am?

7 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

Hi,

just take a safe taxi inside the airport, do not go out. You can book a hotel/hostel in Miraflores, San Isidro or Barranco. These are safe areas where you can walk. Also, just tell the hotel/hostel that you will arrive around 2:00 am.

Magical Cuzco Tours team

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

We arrived in Lima around 1:30 am. Our hotel had sent a driver (55 soles). We had a hotel in the historic center: Hotel Espana.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

I was travelling solo and arrived Lima at 5:10am, got out at a lightening speed. I think no need to rearrange flight, just ensure to arrange transfer before you arrive. I stayed in Barranco and really like the area, it felt safe and I wandered a bit around dinner (would not do so if I didn't feel safe). I understand Peruhop picks up from accommodation in Barranco. Best to enquire with or inform the hostel you book about your late arrival to ensure that it will be ok. My transfer from airport to Barranco was 70 soles, not the cheapest, but the driver was safe and really helpful. Also I asked for pick up at 6:15am but I got out at like 5:45am fully expecting to wait for a while but the driver was already there waiting for me. So I recommend him, if you wish to have his contact number, message me.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

No need to change your flight to accommodate a taxi ride. Use the official taxi company Taxi Green or pre-book a pick up from Taxidatum. Same price. Taxidatum will wait for you at the Arrivals area with your name on a sign. Safe and reliable.

sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

Thank you every one for your responses. I've narrowed down to the Miraflores area.

A few places show US$18 for airport pickup on the booking sites, one place quoted me US$25, another place simply told me to take a taxi from inside the airport. I checked Taxidatum, the price listed is US$20.

My questions are :

1. Is there any surcharge for a night taxi?

2. Is it conventional to tip taxi drivers, if yes, what is the usual amount?

Edited: 28 March 2017, 12:06
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

No charge for night taxis.

Tipping is not necessary. With regular taxis (like Easytaxi), you can round up. The Taxidatum driver will help you with your luggage, if you want to give him a small tip, that's okay.

Whatever taxi service you choose, avoid the ones that ask for pre-payment. If they don't show up or show up late, there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited: 28 March 2017, 16:31
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight arriving midnight, safe?

It is very common for flights to come in at that time. You should be safe if you get one of the taxis from the airport. I recommend Taxi Green, which is right outside the last customs checkpoint. If you walk outside the airport and hail a taxi, it would be more dangerous. The area that the airport is in is a bit dangerous, so I would make sure you book your hotel/hostel in other areas. Some great places with good dining and walking areas are Miraflores, Barranco, and San Isidro. These are all safe areas (I live here).

Reply to: Flight arriving midnight, safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted