We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
761 reviews
Save Topic
Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

With a long list here in TA of things to do in Lima, what are the REALLY TOP things to do while in Lima for 4 days and 3 nights? Well, here are my interests in no particular order:

Gourmet and comfort food

Museum and churches- please tell me the top 3

Archeological site

Activity for someone who is healthy and 50 years old but feels like 39

Place to visit outside of Lima proper but within 2 hours drive

Bars and nightlife with or without dancing- mderate to high end

Authentic Lima daytime activity- cite only one please

Cosmopolitan Lima nighttime activity- cite only one please

Thanks.

Edited: 04 March 2017, 07:35
Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

You can take a food/walking tour or cooking class.

The larco museum was very nice as is the restaurant. Getting a guide at the entrance is worth it.

I didn't go outside the city so can't help you there.

When I went in December the Larcomall shopping plaza on the cliff was closed due to fire. Not sure if it opened up again but it's a nice place to go any time of the day to eat, drink, so or just hang out.

The parque explora was surprisingly nice at night, especially for couples bit dint know if you're going with a significant other.

The centro historico is pretty far from miraflores and might be worth a visit but only during the day time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Museo Larco is fantastic.

Archaeological - go to Huaca Pucllana in Miraflores. It's this incredible pre-Incan pyramid in the middle of the city.

I liked the Centro Historico, the Santo Domingo convent was probably the most interesting of a number of religious buildings round there.

Go for a walk along the Malecon, on the Miraflores cliffs - it stretches for several km. The Larcomar shopping centre is a good start or end point for that walk. Barranco was also nice to wander around.

Mentioned in this post
Museo Larco
Museo Larco
9,907 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Huaca Pucllana
Huaca Pucllana
6,220 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Miraflores
Miraflores
13,459 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Barranco
Barranco
5,910 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response. Larco Museum is on my list. I'm not sure how different are their exhibits compared to the museums in Cusco. Larcomall's website is up and running so it has perhaps reopened? Do you mean Parque de la Reserva? I can't find the Parque Explora that you mentioned.Is Centro Historica dangerous even in the daytime? Just curious.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for the 2nd vote for Larco Museum. Any specific exhibit that is as priceless as the Mona Lisa or particularly significant as the Code of Hammurabi at the museum? We are staying in the Miraflores Area. So I assume Barranco is walking distance? I read Barranco is not so safe, especially at night, is it? Where can I find art galleries in the city?

Edited: 06 March 2017, 10:37
Mentioned in this post
Miraflores
Miraflores
13,459 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Barranco
Barranco
5,910 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Art museums that might interest you include MALI, MATE and Museo Pedro de Osama. The latter two are in Barranco. You can look them up on TA and read some reviews.

Miraflores to Barranco is a rather long walk and some parts may not be that interesting. I'd rather take a taxi to Saenz Peña (near Hotel B) and walk along the Malecon from there. Interesting architecture and nice views.

Larcomar re-opened several months ago.

Centro Historico is perfectly safe in the daytime. There are lots of police and even tourist info officers on Segways. Don't miss the Casa de Aliaga if you like colonial architecture.

Edited: 06 March 2017, 13:06
Mentioned in this post
Barranco
Barranco
5,910 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Miraflores
Miraflores
13,459 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Hotel B
Hotel B
534 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Casa de Aliaga
Casa de Aliaga
394 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Thanks for the info Gigis_mum. I haven't heard or read about the museums that you mentioned in Barranco. That's some homework to do before we go there. We will definitely visit Centro Historico. Glad to know that Larcomar is open. I enjoy shopping. Hopefully they have art galleries there too.

Mentioned in this post
Barranco
Barranco
5,910 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Yes, Huaca Pucllana is fascinating. I highly recommend the tour.

Mentioned in this post
Huaca Pucllana
Huaca Pucllana
6,220 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

You are welcome, ebbtide.

I just realized that the TA link re-directs you to the travel destination of Mali, lol. Here's a better link. Hope it works for you (it's an Indian TA link because I'm currently in India).

https://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review…

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
135 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

This is gonna help you for some of the food angurocanguro.com/2017/03/what-to-eat-in-per…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
194 posts
761 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must have to do while in Lima and 'burbs.

Gigis_mum. Thanks.

Angel P. that is a great link on Peruvian dishes. Any specific restaurants that you can recommend?