We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

permit required for sacred valley

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
permit required for sacred valley

I am travelling in May and am wondering if i require a permit for travelling in and around the sacred valley? I ask this as i know all the permits for the inca trail have sold out and there are none avaialable - so i just want to make sure that a permit is not required! Also is a week long enough to go around the sacred valley? and any other tips that anybody may have would be most welcome!

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
920 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: permit required for sacred valley

You do not need a permit to drive around the Sacred Valley.

You do need a permit to enter the archaeological sites in the Sacred Valley, including Ollantaytambo, Pisac, and Chincheros. I believe this permit costs $40 USD or os.

However, you do not have to worry about the permit running out, they accept unlimited visitors.

The Sacred Valley is small, if you want to see the main sites such as Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chincheros, and also Maras-Moray-Salineras, you need at least 2 days but not more than 3 days.

I recommend spending at least two days in Cusco too.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: permit required for sacred valley

Boleto Turistico to see the sites, but not just to travel into the Valley.

If you are asking this question, you probably want to read up on www.andeantravelweb.com or buy a guide book.

Not all of the sites are on the "Boleto Turistico" and depending on the amount of time you have to spend you may not want to buy the 'FULL CIRCUIT" but only the one for Ollantaytambo, Pisac, and Chinchero, which is half price.

You buy it at the first site you visit.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: permit required for sacred valley

And if you plan to visit Machu Picchu, you should purchase the entry tickets in advance, plus the train tickets. Availability is limited for both of these, especially during high tourist season.

A week should give you plenty of time to visit Cusco, the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and a bit of Lima.

If you have more time in Peru, you could also visit the Amazon jungle, Arequipa/Colca Canyon or Lake Titicaca.

Warsaw, Warszawa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: permit required for sacred valley

So, is it required to book permits for Sacred Valley in advance? If so, where one can do that, or check availability?

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
920 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: permit required for sacred valley

You do not need to book permits for the sacred valley in advance. This permit - which is called the Boleto Turistico - can be purchased once you arrive at any of the major archaeological sites. There is no need to worry about availability,there is no limit.

Warsaw, Warszawa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: permit required for sacred valley

Thanks very much! You know much about Cusco region?

7. Re: permit required for sacred valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:21