We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

Level Contributor
1 post
137 reviews
Save Topic
Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

Hello,

My husband and I (mid twenties) will be in Cuzco 2 Jan - 9 Jan 2018.

Should we book tours (for MP, SV, Rainbow Mountain ect) from Australia or when we arrive?

We don't want to do a lot of trekking but want to see as much as possible.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

The only thing you should book in advance is the train to MP and the ticket if you want to hike the wayna picchu mountain.

The rest of tours it is better to book just in cusco. If you have enough days, do the sacred valley and MP by your own

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

If you're worried about certain tours or things being booked out you should book in advance. You won't have to do this for all tours but for the ones you feel like you can't miss I would recommend you use https://www.findlocaltrips.com to book in advance of time. I booked a couple of tours with them beforehand and never had any issues with any of the services.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

• You could easily visit Machu Picchu on your own. Buy MP tickets in advance, especially if you are doing any of the hikes (Huayna picchu or Montaña) inside MP. Also buy your train tickets in advance. You can hire a guide at the entrance.

machupicchu.gob.pe

perurail.com or Incarail.com

• The sacred Valley & Cusco group tours can be bought once you get there with as little 1 day notice. But you also have the option to do them on your own. You can hire private transportation/taxis & guides will be available at the big sites like Pisac & Ollantaytambo.

Rainbow Mountain, you should go with a tour & you can buy it once you get there. Wait at least a couple+ days after you arrive in Cusco & get adjusted to the elevation to do this trek.

Work on your itinerary & roughly plan what you would like to do each day.

You could use Cusco (city) as a base to explore the entire area with 1 night in Aguas calientes before MP visit.

Another option would be to start in the sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo?) for a couple nights, continue to Aguas calientes/Machu Picchu and end in Cusco. Note that most organized group tours start in Cusco.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)

I would say it all really depends on what you want, if planning on doing things on your own and not doing the Huayna Picchu hike while at Machu Picchu, then there is nothing wrong with waiting until you are here to purchase your tickets, Jan is the slow season and things are not very likely to sell out.

If you are planing to use tour agencies to see the sites, then I would recommend booking in advance, mainly because you can research agencies this way, yes there are small agencies in Cusco that have no web presence and can offer tours a bit cheaper than the lager ones you will find on line, but there are just as many bad comments about them, and if you just go by price, you may not like what you get.

I would not advise doing the Rainbow Mountain in Jan though, not only is it not as colorful as many of the photos on-line show it to be, it is very likely to be rainy, snowy and/or cloudy there in Jan.

Reply to: Book tour in advance or in Cusco? (Machu Picchu Jan 2018)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted