We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

Hey guys,

Considering that i will be visiting Chinchero,Olly,Maras n Moray which site out of the 3 in my subject i should pick?

Thx

5 replies to this topic
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

They are all different and without knowing more about your interests, it would be hard to make a recommendation, but I can provide my opinions on each.

Pisac - Visiting Pisac alone would be a short day, even if hiking down from the top (which may not be possible, depending on when you visit) and visiting the market. If doing Pisac I would add other locations to fill the day, maybe the Cochahuasi Animal Sanctuary, Inkariy Museum and/or Ollantaytambo. Another option for places to add would be one or more f the Southern Valley locations (Tipon, Pikillacta and/or Andahuaylillas).

Humantay Lake - This would be a full day, and is a nice hike to a beautiful lake, but considering all of the archaeological sites in the area, I would not generally recommend this hike unless you have an excess of time.

Rainbow Mountain - In my opinion this is one of the most over rated hikes that is offered, the majority of pictures that you will see on line have been doctored, either through adjusting the camera setting, or through use of editing software, the actual colors are not as bright as what you will see when actually there, and due to the altitude, it is possible during certain times of the year to actually reach the top and find it covered in snow, offering just white mountains with no color at all. I did a blog on our trip, and have un-modified pictures posted there, if you would like to check out the blog, message me and I will send you a link.

In general my recommendation would be to visit Pisac with the addition of some other locations to fill out the day, but if you really want to do a hike, I would suggest Huchuy Qosqo. In my opinion the Huchuy Qosqo hike is better than Rainbow Mountain or Humantay Lake, it is far less crowded, the terrain is more varied, you get to visit a site that almost no one else visits (I have never seen another visitor when there), and it is easily done on your own, without hiring a guide or booking through an agency.

Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

Thx GringoWasi-Bnb

I m not into hiking to be honest . I was just hoping to see some spectalure sceneries on that mountain haha but as u said it might be covered in snow so i will check the weather the day before i m planning to visit it. As for Pisac... i will be visiting Olly,Chinchero Maras and Moray already so i am wondering if Pisac is pretty much the same as those sites

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

If you are not into hiking, then you might want to skip the rainbow mountain, it is a strenuous hike of about 14 km and will take you from about 4,400 meters, up to about 5,000 meters, the Humantay lake hike is shorter at just over 5 km, but is a fairly steep assent going from about 3,900 meters to about 4,250 meters in just over 2 km.

You will actually find that all of the sites are similar, in they all have terraces and walls, but almost every site offers something different as well. Based on what you have listed as sites you will be seeing, I would recommend visiting the Southern Valley which will include Tipon, Pikillacta, and Andahuaylillas. I find Pikillacta interesting because it is a Wari (Huari) site and different that the Inka sites, it also gets far fewer visitors than any of the other sites you will be seeing.

Another option if you think that you might reach your limit for ruins by then, would be to take a day trip to the Lares hot springs, these are the hottest mineral baths we have found in the region, and the drive is quite scenic.

Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

Lares looks good. Thanks GringoWasi

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake

We love the hot springs there and try to visit a couple of times a month, depending on how busy we are with guests.

For reference you could hire a car and driver to take you there (or there are colectivos that go there from Calca in the Sacred Valley, not sure of the cost for either option as we have our own car and always drive ourselves.

Edited: 26 October 2017, 12:05
Reply to: Pisac ,Rainbow Mountain or Humanatay Lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted