We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

From my research, it looks pretty easy to rent hiking gear. Does anyone recommend doing the Choquequirao hike. I have nothing planned or scheduled from Nov. 4th through the 10th. I fly out of Cusco on the 11th. Could I leave the morning of the 4th and be back by the 10th?

Is it common to find fellow travelers/hikers that would let someone join the party? If I couldn't find a way to do this hike, does anyone recommend something else, or another adventure, that I could do in that span of time?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

You do have the time (are you planning to visit Machu Picchu?), and there is plenty to see and do in the Cusco region to keep someone busy for at least a week, and that is without doing a trek.

The Choquequirao trek (not hike) would take a minimum of 4 days, but based on past guest experiences, 5 days would be better. There are several other treks that could be done as well like Lares, or Salkantay which would take you to Machu Picchu, or Asungate, which is a high altitude trek and can include Machu Picchu, but does not have to.

There are also day hikes like Huchuy Qosqo (my favorite), Wata, Humantay Lake and the Rainbow Mountain. Then their are tours that can be done on your own or through tour agencies, these include Cusco, the Sacred Valley, the Hill Top (Maras, Moray & Chinchero|), the Southern Valley, sites to the West like Killarumioq and Tarawasi, or a day trip to the Lares Hot Springs or to the Qeswachaca rope bridge and Raqchi.

Add to this the possibility for action activities like Mountain Biking, Horse Riding, Quad Biking, Zip-lining, Bungee Jumping, River Rafting and Paragliding (I would not recommend the last two), and the possibilities are almost endless as to what you could do during your time here.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

Thanks for the info. I have been to Machu Picchu before, so I wouldn't mind seeing something different this time. And this is a very last minute trip, so I figure it might be hard to get a last minute permit for MP.

Is the Choquequiro trek ok for a solo traveler? I'm a guy and not little, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I mainly concerned about staying on the correct path and watching out for bandits.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

Considering you have already visited Machu Picchu, visiting another site like Choquequiro would be a good option, but for reference,you can still get tickets to Machu Picchu. The Inka Trail is sold out, but there are several other treks that could be done that would only require the MP entry, and not a permit for the trail itself.

I honestly do not believe that bandits would be a problem, we have had several guests do Choquequiro on their own, but as of yet, none that have really done it solo, most have been couples and the one single traveler that we had hired a mule and handler to carry the equipment. Having a mule and handler might be a good idea, I don't believe it was that expensive, and even if you do not speak Spanish, it would give you someone to keep on on the right path (don't know how well it is marked), and you would not be completely alone.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?

Hey! I am going to be around at roughly the same time, looking to do a trek to or from (or via) Vitcos. I've also been to MP previously so happy to skip it/not end the trek there. In an ideal world I'd like to go to Espiritu Pampa but it seems impossible to do by myself and I can't find any groups to join. So looking at all options, only thing I'm set on is Vitcos. Have you finalised your plans now?

Reply to: In Cusco for 2 weeks looking for a hike, maybe Choquequirao?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted