We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
85 posts
108 reviews
In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Hi, hope I didn't mess this up!

We have two weeks in Peru, flying into Cusco on a redeye that gets in Sat morning and out from Lima 2 Sundays later. We leave for a 4-day Inca Trail tour Wednesday after we arrive.

Any suggestions on how to use Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues if leaving from Cusco for trail tour on Wednesday am?

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
787 posts
460 reviews
1. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Get a tour to the sacred valley for one or 2 nights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Lots to do in Cusco:

• Saturday rest & explore Cusco City: San Pedro Market, Cathetral, Qorikancha Temple, San Blas…Etc.

• Sunday & Monday tour the Sacred Valley: Ccochauasi, Awanakancha, Pisac, Inkaiy Museum, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero, Maras & Moray.

• Tuesday: more time to explore ruins near Cusco City: Sacsaywaman, Tambomachay…Etc. Chocolate Museum? Or maybe a South Valley Tour or Adventure Sports?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Also the Hill Top (Maras, Moray & Chinchero) and the Southern Valley (Tipon, Pikillacta & Andahuaylillas), there are plenty of options to keep you busy for 4 days, and you can do the Sacred Valley in one day.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 14:28
Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

I just got nack from almost the same itinerary as you have planned (red eye and all!). We spent our 4 days in Cusco as follows:

Day 1: Arrive. Visit the Plaza de Armas, wander around San Blas neighborhood where we stayed, pocked up snacks and enjoyed wandering the narrow streets and eating food.

Day 2: All day tour through Enigma (Marco as tour guide) to Maras, Moray, and Pisac. This tour was fascinating, starting with the Pisac ruins, going to the Pisac market, seeing the salt mines near Maras and the Incan Greenhouse agriculture site in Moray. We even pulled off in Lamay to have Cuy. We got lots of photos and learned a ton about the Incas. Our tour was from 7am to about 4pm. We got back and went out for dinner.

Day 3: My husband booked a mountain bike tour. I got up, had beeakfast and hiked from Plaza Armas to Sacsahuayman Inca site in the hills surrounding Cusco. You can also take a cab. Really great site with great views of the City. The walk up is a good little hike before you set off on the trail. We went to Chicha for dinner. Great trout cebiche. Get a reservation and go!

Day 4: We hung out, went to the art museums, and generally prepped for the hike. We had a pre hike meeting at 6pm. After that we ate, packed and went to sleep because we got picked up at 4am sharp the next day for the trek.

If you need anymore info, please let me know. We got back 2 weeks ago. The trek was difficult, but it was also one of the most amazing things I have done.

Enjoy!

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
85 posts
108 reviews
5. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Excellent tips all, thanks! We've got a few months to plan things out but wanted to make sure there was enough to do before being unable to change the flights/dates if needed.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
6. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

I know that everyone has different interests, but combining Pisac, Moray and the Salt mines is not the most efficient of plans as they are on opposite ends of the valley.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 14:33
7. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2017, 12:53
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
8. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Humantay Lake is nice, but I prefer Huchuy Qosqo over Rainbow Mountain, is gets fewer people, is a shorted day, has nicer scenery and includes a seldom visited archaeological site that contains the only 2 story Inca stone building I have seen.

For a real local Sunday market, the Izcuchaca market is much better, it is easily 4 times the size of the Pisac Local Market, and you will not find any souvenir stalls.

During the rainy season Rafting is not normally available and Paragliding can be hit or miss as it requires wind, which is not always around.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
9. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

Piggy backing off of this as I will be in a similar situation. Do you think it its best to spend all nights in Cusco or stay in Olly / Urubamba for 1 night then the rest in Cusco?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
135 reviews
10. Re: In Cusco 4 days before 4-day Inca Trail tour...what to do?

To me it really depends on your preferences and weather you want to change accommodations more, or less.

Starting in the Sacred Valley will mean that you will have to make at least one extra move, and you will and up seeing Machu Picchu at the start of your stay. Just staying in Cusco would allow you to move less and put Machu Picchu at the end, essentially saving the best site for last.

If you have previously had a bad experience with altitude, starting in the Sacred Valley is a good idea as it is lower.