We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru and travelling with older adults

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Peru and travelling with older adults

Hello!

Thanks to everyone on these forums, your insights have been so helpful in planning our trip to Peru!

But has anyone travelled to the SV and Cuzco as an older or shall I say, "wiser" adult?

We will be travelling with my in-laws who are 68 and 70 (although healthy and high functioning).

Is there anything that we should be concerned about health wise? What can we do to prevent any problems? What can we do if altitude sickness were to become a problem?

Just want to make sure we keep them safe!

Thank you for any advice,

Ted

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

You would be better of if you acclimatize at the Sacred Valley, visit MP and then go to Cusco City

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

They should check with their own doctors, first of all.

If they are on any kind of medication especially for blood pressure or heart related it may need to be adjusted.

One thing I noticed is that as soon as I exit the plane in Cusco (there is no avoiding that) my heart rate naturally speeds up.

As far as practical tips they would be the same for everyone. Especially walk slowly, & try not to carry your own luggage or otherwise exert yourselves for the first few days. I try to get a hotel the first few nights that can be reached by taxi (some streets in Cusco and in Ollantaytambo cannot).

Edited: 07 May 2013, 22:01
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

mlgb above is right, their first stop should be a checkup with their doctors before leaving. The only cure for serious altitude sickness is to go to lower altitudes. it is normal, however to get a headache & have some difficulty breathing on arrival in Cusco. Hope you have included the rainforest into your itinerary.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

Some evidence that people over 50 might have a easier time with altitude adjustment than their younger counterparts -- like their kids.

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

Cusco is right at the edge of altitude where altitude sickness becomes a possible issue. BTW... MP is lower than Cusco contrary to what a lot of folks think. The first few days do stuff in moderation. Better to eat light meals/snacks several times a day than big meals. Stick with easily digestible foods. Vegetable soups and such. BTW.. Peru makes excellent soups. Avoid altitude sickness meds. They mask symptoms. Drink lots of fluids, preferably low sugar ones. As part of the adjustment to altitude you system uses lots of fluid. Coca tea... has a moderate effect. Not a substitute for chewing the leaves. Chamomille tea at bedtime. It can be harder to sleep. If problems develop the best treatment is to get lower by about 2000 ft.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

The only proven age factor is that the the 50+ group cope somewhat better , on the average. Useless as an individual prediction.

" Drink lots of fluids, preferably low sugar ones. As part of the adjustment to altitude you system uses lots of fluid "

Persistent myth : fluid losses are a lot lower than commonly believed. Himalayan rescue Association recommends around three liters per day , at higher altitudes & with heavier work involved . This has for example also worked out in a forty day simulated ascent to Everest in a pressure chamber ( Operation Everest 2 ) .

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

I'm an average sized person and I plan on drinking one 2-Liter bottle of water per day. Usually works out about right.

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

dont drink too much water going in MP,bathrooms is only in the entrance so if you are up and you want to go its a lot to walk back there

9. Re: Peru and travelling with older adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:18