We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
634 posts
77 reviews
I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

I am looking for a partner to share a cabin on a 6 night 7 day (or even a 9 night 10 day) Galapagos ship. Ideally I would like someone willing to do a last minute cruise at a significant discount but I would also consider a book in advance. My preference would be a first class or better ship. My timing is late April or early May which is a slower time to pick up last minute cruises. Does anyone has similar plans or any advise on how to obtain a partner share for a cruise. I'm leaning toward a higher end cruise than tourist class. I am looking to arrive in Baltra (GPS) on 26 April and leave Baltra or SCY on 4 May or 6 May. Alternatively I can arrive arrive GPS on 3 May or 4 May and depart 11 May or 13 May. My understanding is that late April through May is usually a less busy time to visit and a better time to get a discounted ticket. Would anyone be interested in joining me to avoid single supplement? Sharing a cabin is a much less costly than a single supplement. Alternative if anyone has advise for the solo traveller through Galapagos...I'm all ears. I've done a fair amount of research so I'm pretty familar with the ships and getting more knowledgable by the day. I just missed the 1/2 price cruise on Lindbland for their May 31 and June 7 salings...I would have changed my dates to get that deal.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,270 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

A lot of boats will pair you up with a cabin mate if you're willing to share, and waive the single supplement if they can't find a match (but read their fine print). A couple of other resources would be the South American Explorer's Club and the Thorn Tree forum.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
634 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

SAE club is $60 to join...is that right? If so, I'll post in Thorn Tree....let me ask you this...If I go to San Cris or Baltra or Guaya and try for a last minute ....I was leaning toward going down there and trying the last minute approach but if I go solo....could I get a last minute share...if you're not sure don't worry...I really need an expert here!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Not an expert on this, since I'm definitely a "book ahead and just kick back and enjoy the anticipation" kind of gal. I don't know about finding last-minute "shares." But I've read reports on this forum that a boat operator might be more willing to cut or drop the single supplement on a last-minute deal in Quito or Puerto Ayora. Or the price may be low enough that you'll be willing to fork over the single supplement. (I wouldn't try this from San Cristóbal, since the vast majority of cruises leave from Santa Cruz (where PA is the major town).) Guayaquil has some agents that handle this, but I think your greatest selection will be in Quito or PA.

Certainly no guarantees, but some boat operators will be more interested in having a cabin filled halfway than in sailing with it empty. Of course, you will have to be content with whatever selection there is--and luck with a last-minute deal can be either good or bad. If you go this route, be sure to have researched thoroughly the boats you want--or the ones you definitely want to avoid.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Brisbane
Level Contributor
392 posts
223 reviews
4. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Hi Jim,

You are doing exactly what i will be doing and around the same dates too !! Maybe we can hook up?

I must warn you though .... i snore.... i sleepwalk.......and who knows what else when i am asleep ;]

If you are keen to take a risk with a known cereal killer [Weetbix preferred ] then drop me a line. :}

Saludos

John

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Hi Jim.

You are a long way from Tanzania, but great minds think alike, I guess. I won't be hitting Ecuador until next year, though.

I just got this info from a solo traveller email I get. I don't know anything about this company, but maybe this offer might be of interest. www.ietravel.com/ie-travel-specials…

Prices are a bit high, but I can't tell whether they include US flights or not. If not, you can do just as well or better on a private room booked when arrived.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 14:06
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
634 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Thanks for the link...darn...I wish I wouldn't have missed the Linbland 1/2 price cruise for May 31 and June 7 10 day cruises....a single at 1/2 would have been 3600 and change and would have included 2 nights hotel in GYE. QM: help me feel better and tell me why Endeaver is not a good choice besides all the kids and older slower moving folks.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,270 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

It's been quite a while, but I used International Expeditions for a trip once which was great, but the office staff didn't have its act together, and even lied about sending my tickets. Still, a few years later I contacted them again about another trip, and once again, the office staff just wasn't very competent. I personally wouldn't bother with them.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
634 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

John I sent you a message.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
634 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Ok...let's try a different approach. What would be a good TO in Quito or PortA that specializes in last minute travel and would actually reply my emails? If they have a website does that mean they're really not discount travel.

I thought I would fly into Quito and spend one night there (say arrive thursday afternoon until friday)...then fly Friday to SCY which I assume is the closest airport to PortA (where the brokers for last minute trips reside). I understand the cruises leave on Saturdays or Sundays from SanC or Baltra. I also understand that if I'm on SCris and my cruise leaves from Baltra...it's not a big deal to get from SanC to Baltra (i.e. bus/ferry/bus). I'm still in the beginning information gathering stage but I want to make sure my big picture is not wrong...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
155 reviews
10. Re: I need a a share partner for 7day cruise thru Galapagos May

Thanks AZ for the info regarding IE. It was just something that arrived in my mailbox today.

Jim, I was never good a lying to my kids just to make them feel better ;-)

But, there are limits to where a ship that size can go. It does not visit Genovesa with its amazing birds and remoteness; or little Santa Fe. Once you arrive, you arrive with 95 other travellers. On a small ship, if the guide is right, he will have had you up dressed and on the shore two hours before the rest of the sleepy heads get there. You will have the beach all to the 17 of you. The paths will not be congested with all levels of walkers. You won't be listening to parents or guides trying to remind kids of rules. It will be quieter; more magic.

Of course, this is all just in my opinion and what I hope to achieve. Just like Tanzania, sometimes price can't be the reason for everything. The experience has to have value. I think the Endeavour, though a great price, might have been a compromise. but then you are more of a social animal than I so maybe it would suit better.

As to my planning ahead, well, i do that anyway, and GI is only one of 4 components I am looking at. Also, as one time, I heard one had to book GI a year ahead particularly as there used to be a few with limited to no single supplement. Unfortunately, I have missed those. And to make you smile, I have been planning another one (or two) Africa safaris - again, for a month each - for waaaaaay too far in the future. What else is a girl to do when the winter has been as terrible as our current one is?

I am sending a PM.

Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands