We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

A friend and I are going on a 7 nights live aboard dive trip next week (April 18-25, 2011) and wondering how cold the water is....should we wear a 5mm wetsuit or is 3mm good enough? We have a hood and gloves. Is it cold these days? Thanks! :)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Dear JTP,

I always suggest you ask such specific questions to the agent you booked with. They should be able to give the best advice, I expect.

April waters are generally the warmest of the year - for snorkeling, no wetsuit is usually needed. Live aboards take you to the north of the archipelago usually (Wolf and Darwin), where waters are even warmer. Off the top of my head (I'm not a diver), I would say keep it light. Current remote sensing information on surface water temperatures are showing 25-28 degrees Celsius in the archipelago with up to 30 degrees in the north - that's bathtub temperatures where I come from!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

HI JTP,

I just went diving the day before yesterday at Floreana, one of the central islands, and the water was about 21C. I was wearing a 7mm which is what I would recommend for the live aboard. Definitely bring the gloves, as many times you may need to hang on to the rocks and just "sit back and enjoy the Galapagos show!" Have a great time.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Thank you for the replies! This is a huge help for us! :)

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Hello, I am leaving for the Galapagos next week (October 8th) I was wondering if I should buy a wetsuit or rent it there? I will probably only go snorkling (I'm not PADI) unless there is an into to diving available.

I would probably be a women's XL. I also get cold easily. Is a shorty ok or should I ho with a long one? Also, will I be able to rent one on Puerto Villamil in my size?

5. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 October 2011, 22:35
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Dear Sonigen,

Galapagos waters this time of year are at their chilliest (but great for marine life - so things should be a bit more active in that department). You should ask the ship with whom you've booked - or your agent to get that info. Each ship has a different way of handling wetsuits. Some have them on-board, others will arrange rentals for you, and some don't lift a finger and you have to do it all yourself. Unless you plan on using it again, I don't think it's worth buying and lugging one all the way down.

If you tend to get chilly (I know those Laurentides waters personally), then a wetsuit is not a bad idea. Some people don't use them even in October - but others appreciate them. Don't go overboard with an Arctic Standard wetsuit mind you. But a full body, 3 mm should be fine, for instance.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

Hello Heather,

thank you for your reply. I finally found a great deal on a full 5/3 wetsuit which I jumped on. Unfortunately we had to cancel our cruise. We are planning on rescheduling in April. I get cold easily and was wondering what type of wetsuit and thickness I should be looking for.

Best regards,

Sonia

8. Re: how thick a wetsuit is recommended for scuba diving now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands