We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day/7 day

milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
4 day/7 day

If we want a 7 day cruise, but the ship also gives 3 or 4 days, would we end up circling back to the airport islands stuck waiting for passengers to leave and new ones to come aboard. This would also seem to keep ships from reaching some of the more distant islands if they have to run back every 3 days.

Opinions?

Thanks

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day/7 day

Not a problem.

The cruise ships' base is on the island of Santa Cruz, which lies in the middle of the Galapagos Islands, so one 3-4 day cruise takes in the islands to the south, the other 3-4 day cruise takes in the islands to the north, and the connecting day is spent at harbour in Puerto Ayora while you visit the Charles Darwin Centre (i.e. a very nice zoo) and finding land tortoises in the Santa Cruz highlands.

You're on the right track: the 7-8 day cruise is by far the best value and is unaffected by all those people who think that a 3-4 day "dabble" in nature's wonderland is really enough.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Puerto Ayora
Puerto Ayora
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day/7 day

Dear AJ -

I've always recommended to people considering an 8 day 7 night cruise to try to avoid those that combine them with the 3-4 day cruises. It's fun to embark with one group, and stay with that group throughout - giving you a feeling of "were all in this adventure together" - giving you a chance to build some acquaintances and enjoy the company of others.

There is a loss of trip momentum as well, I think, when you anchor off Puerto Ayora or San Cristobal, and drop off / pick up people in the middle of your cruise, and it does dictate to a certain extent where you ship can sail to - particularly for smaller, slower ships.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Ayora
Puerto Ayora
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
San Cristobal
San Cristobal
milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day/7 day

Thank you both for your advise. I think we prefer to stick with one group and share the adventures and delights together.

Any recommendations for cruises that last for more than 8 nights? Or could we hit genovese, floreana, fernandina with an 8 day itinerary?

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day/7 day

The Floreana does an 8-day south cruise and an 8-day North cruise so you could maybe get those back to back.

The Beagle has a two week itinerary on the boats site but I only find the 8-day advertised with agents so you would need to enquire.

The Lammer Law seems to do your requirements in 7-days but you have to choose between naturalist (island visit cruise) and active (diving) so it depends if they have the right cruise when you want to go. Don't know anything about the boat other than its a trimaran.

There might be others - I only have information on aboat 40 boats.

Mentioned in this post
Floreana
Floreana
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day/7 day

The company Galapagos Travel does not only 11-day, but also 15-day trips that take in all the islands. I've heard good things about them (there's someone on the Fodor's boards that has been on them more than once, I think.)

www.galapagostravel.com/itineraries.html

I am not considering them for our own trip because I honestly don't think I could take that long on a boat. Seven days is my max!

Mentioned in this post
milwaukee
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day/7 day

Thanks to all for the info. I am carefully watching pricing--in case there are specials--as well as itinerary.

ajretired

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day/7 day

Dear AJ,

the best deals are being offered right now for travel end of November, and first 3 weeks of December - the slackest season in Galapagos. Otherwise, given the financial meltdown, I suspect ships may be not running at capacity so much in 2009 - so you may want to see what comes up then.

Warmes regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: 4 day/7 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:35