We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to spend in Galapagos?

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
How long to spend in Galapagos?

Hi folks, big hugs from Turkey.I've been saving money for my trip to South America and Galapagos is the most important point!May anybody help me out for my trip?How long do I need to stay in Santa Cruz and how long in San Cristobal?Are there enough travel agents that can help me to find an excursion or cruises are the only way?İs sea too cold on february?Please leave me some tips coz very few Turks has been to there and I will be making a huge Blog!Lets contribute it please.

Big hugs to you all

8 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

It's quite a distance to travel, so I'd stay as long as I could manage.

We took an 11 day Nature Workshop on the Tip Top IV arranged by Galapagos Travel. Loved every minute.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

Dear TC,

if Galapagos has been on the top of your list as a MUST GO TO place for a long time, spend as much time as you can. I spent 4 years there and it wasn't enough... If your budget is limited, then be sure you are not wasting any of the limited time you have - plan ahead. If you are to stay in only 2 of the three main towns, I would ensure one is Villamil on Isabela, as it's the smallest and more remote, with easier access to the sea. Keep on reading the forum and doing research.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
3. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

Weather wise, the Galapagos Islands only has slight climatic variations throughout the year. The warm, slightly rainier season is from late December to June. This means warmer waters for swimming, but the chance of cloud and showers (though these are often quick passing).

The cool, dry season is from late June to December (meaning blue skies and occasional mid-day showers). However, “cool” is a relative term in the Galapagos as the days are still warm but the water is cooler due to the southern tradewinds. The warmest and sunniest months are usually February and March and from December to May the waters are meant to be clearer and calmer which should mean increased visibility underwater.

As for the number of travel agents on the islands there are many. But you will find most of them in Santa Cruz.

No, you don't need to do a cruise, but you can if you want to. It's completely up to you. There are many cruise conpanies that you can take. If you want to get an idea of prices for this CNH tours seem to get consistantly good reviews from travellers so that might be a good place to start to start comparing with other cruise tour companies.

Here is the link.

https://www.cnhtours.com

4. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2018, 22:57

Macerata, Italy
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

"There are many cruise conpanies that you can take. If you want to get an idea of prices for this CNH tours seem to get consistantly good reviews from travellers so that might be a good place to start to start comparing with other cruise tour companies."

Why should you advertise a company?

For and indipendent traveller who didn't cruise and wrote a guide for cruisless travellers this seems really odd. Isn't it Adelaide man?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
6. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

Pipa61

It wasn't meant to be a plug as such. I collected a lot of information when I was updating my guide and happened to notice that cruise company never seemed to have any negative comments mentioned about it. That's all.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

Adelaide man??

Seriously, Pipa, Snaek29 has devoted astronomical amounts of time to research and write up his findings (starting in 2013--the oldest active thread for the Ecuador forums). He continues to answer questions there, and now has written up a comprehensive guide to help future travelers. He is broadminded enough to understand that some people do want to cruise, and offered some helpful info.

We'll look forward to your comprehensive trip report after your trip (I didn't see any in your profile though you seem to have asked for and received plenty of information in the past).

Macerata, Italy
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: How long to spend in Galapagos?

"Snaek29 has devoted astronomical amounts of time":

ok, but I was wondering why he mentions a single company(there are may out there as you know).

Sorry english is not my first language, but I have made several reviews of my travels(check under pipa61 in italian).

Nothing else to say.

Reply to: How long to spend in Galapagos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted