We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which large cruise ship for families?

canada
Level Contributor
390 posts
5 reviews
Which large cruise ship for families?

Just wondering if any of the large cruise ships are particularly notable for activities and excursions designed for kids and families?

Also, do any of the large cruise ships still offer a 50% discount for child accommodations in a triple berth? It seems to be this is something that was offered in the past but all the pricing has adjusted in the last couple of years to remove it. Happy to be wrong though!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

I have cruised several cruise lines with my kids and they have enjoyed the activities on all of them. As far as discounts it depends on when and where you go as well as the ship. Check the promotions for each line. Right now NCL has 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom sail for free but it is select sailings. Some ships have a separate kids pool. Also, you may find more information on the Cruise Critic website. Not sure if you are looking for a Galapagos cruise in particular but the large ships don't sail there. The larger ships are for 100 passengers. Adventures By Disney has a land/cruise package that includes Galapagos but it isn't a Disney ship. The itinerary is designed for families.

Montanita, Ecuador
Level Contributor
59 posts
2. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

Ecoventura operates family departures that are wonderful for families including kids of similar ages and activities on board designed to entertain them. Depending on the age of the kids they offer discounts:

"Children age 11 years and younger at the time of sailing are entitled to a 25% discount off the cruise rate and also 50% discount off the airfare and park tax with photocopy of the child’s passport showing date of birth.

Children ages 12-17 years are entitled to a 15% discount off the cruise rate only."

They do have age restrictions:

"Age restrictions: Children under 7 years of age are not accepted unless the parents or legal guardians sign a hold harmless release. Children age 11 and younger are permitted only on a designated family departure. "

But the Ecoventura cruises are not large cruise ships. If you are set on a large cruise ship, the Santa Cruz II, La Pinta, Isabela II and the Explorer are all great options that give special attention to families.

canada
Level Contributor
390 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

Thanks. I think we've settled on the Celebrity Xpedition. I like the itinerary and the larger size.

Cheers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

I just booked on the Xpedition also.

Level Contributor
61 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

I'm looking at booking on the xpedition also but we'd like to include the Manchu picchu land tour extension. Enjoy! Hopefully I can find a forum that talks about this tour as well. :)

6. Re: Which large cruise ship for families?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2018, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands