We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
87 reviews
Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Ihave half my itinerary set, I just need help with what day trips to go from Quito. We will be in the Galápagos for 6 days but that part of the trip is already figured out. The start of the 6 days we will be around Quito. I was thinking 2 days in Quito, a day trip to Otavalo, 1 day in Banos. That leaves me with 2 more days to explore before we head off to Galápagos. Do I add Mindo is it worth going to? Is it easy to get to Quilotoa from Banos or should I leave from Quito. What ideas do you have for those 2 days?

Thx

Montanita, Ecuador
Level Contributor
59 posts
1. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

First off I wouldn't recommend Banos for just one day. There is so much to do and see in Banos that only spending one day would be a waste. I would recommend at least 3 days but if you really want to cut it short I would at least do two days. Both Quilotoa and Mindo can be done as a day tour. Quilotoa has beautiful scenery and a hike down to the crater lake where you can do kayaking and Mindo is a birding paradise. Hope the info helps!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Ok thanks. Is it possible to go from Banos to Quilotoa?

Montanita, Ecuador
Level Contributor
59 posts
3. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Sure, are you driving on your own/hired car or are you planning on busing it? If you plan on busing it you could take a bus from Banos to Latacunga and then from Latacunga to Quilotoa

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

I'm looking into hiring, driving or busing actually. From Banos to Quilotoa it might be better to have some kind of car to at least to store all are bags at least.

To hire a car do you pay by the hour or for the full day?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Before you latched onto Baños I was going to recommend a night or two in Pululahua, a preserve inside a collapsed volcanic crater. I was there for three nights very recently and it was an interesting place. There is a small, well-run hostal there that will pick you up in Quito and take you back (or even to the airport). The food is really good, much of it organic. You can hike down the trail to the hostal (they will drop you off at the top) and then either hike back up (where they'll pick you up) or be taken to Quito.

A driver to Quilotoa, who can watch your bags, is a good idea. I wonder how it would work with your schedule to leave your bags at the hotel in Quito and make the day trip (by bus, if you prefer).

As noted above, Baños is not a day trip. If you want to break up some time between Latacunga and Baños you might look at a side trip to Chimborazo, where you can hike to the first climber's hut (which is just a jot under 5000m).

Mindo, while beautiful, I think of as more of a birders' haven (though there is some ziplining and rafting there).

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

From Banos to Quilotoa you can renting a car by full day , it is better because you can stop and enjoy landscape in the path you must visit Tigua town. In this place are many art gallerys but the better is the Alfredo Toaquiza. He's a very famous painter. Then you can visit the Zumbahua market every Thursday where you will be fascinated by this great indian fair. After you can visit the viewpoint Toachi, it 's close Quilotoa lake.

I suggest you leave very early Banos so that you have a breathtaking view of the landscape and especially you has time to hiking the Quilotoa lagoon. The hike down is steep because Quilotoa is in high elevation with thin air and long hike up. It is preferable that on his return rent a donkey and so could ascend calmly.

Regards,

Karla

7. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2016, 21:19
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
87 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

Thanks Margoth. I just sent Manoo an email to inquire the cost. If we get a private driver I do like that itinerary better actually. Thanks again everyone I think I'm now completely satisfied with the trip now.

😀

9. Re: Itinerary 90% done need tips.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2017, 05:18