We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ecuador travel post-earthquake

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Ecuador travel post-earthquake

I am planning to travel to Quito, the Galapagos, Guayaquil, Bahia de Caraquez and Rio Muchacho in Canoa (travelling by bus from Guayaquil to Canoa and then from Canoa to Quito) this November and December.

I am aware that Manabí Province is currently still in a State of Emergency

Can anyone who has travelled in the region recently tell me how much the area has recovered as of yet? I understand it is still safe to visit the region but how much damage is there still to infrastructure and in particular to the towns of Canoa and Bahia de Caraquez.

Thanks

Montanita, Ecuador
Level Contributor
59 posts
1. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

We have recently sent clients to Canoa and for the most part tourism in the area has begun to return and hotels and restaurants have reopened. The main issue as of now is that many local people are still without homes and are still living in tented camps build after the earthquake. Bahia de Caraquez due to the fact that it had more infrastructure is still lagging with repairs but I'm sure by November/December things will be better.

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

A friend went recently to Bahia Caraquez, he said to me that hotels and restaurants are operating normally. The road is in very good conditions to Bahia and Canoa beach.

On the road is normal to see the camps that have arisen where are housed the families who have lost your homes in the past earthquake.

The tourism is reviving gradually, now there have been no replicas on these beaches.

Regards,

Karla

Atlantida, Uruguay
1 post
3. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

We live in San Clemente and used to visit nearby Bahia frequently for shopping, banking, etc. Whoever said that hotels and restaurants are operating normally HAS NOT BEEN THERE. Centro is a disaster - you can not go down many streets, most businesses are CLOSED and there is virtually nobody in town. The only restaurants are in the nearby town of Leonidas Plaza and the mall. They are still pulling buildings down and the place is honestly a sad mess. Most of the folks that didn't leave are living in a tent city out by the bus terminal on the outskirts of town. Many expats fled and are now here in San Clemente. Also, there is NO new construction going on that we could see. My wife was at the mall on the way into town today to do banking. She tells me the highway is still a mess, with open fissures and steep drops. They are working on the roads but it is very slow going and the gove has not come up with any reconstruction money yet. On my block in nearby San Clemente, for example, there are 4 tents where families have been living since April with no activity to rebuild any of the houses - ther is no money to even begin the process at this point.

Joe Levin

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

Would you say that it would be better to take a direct bus from Guayaquil to Canoa rather than the bus from Guayaquil to Bahia and then try to get a taxi to Canoa?

5. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2016, 22:35
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
6. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

Just finished 10 days in Manta, although they are tearing down a few buildings, everything seemed pretty well off considering. Yes they are still in recovery, but there is alot of construction and the great people of Ecuador and doing what they need too. But there is nothing that would be considered a State of Emergency in the eyes of a tourist or what would effect a visit there. Yes if you a local there is much to be done and some have lost their homes or lives, but as far as a tourist, it will not effect a visit. All the stores and restaurants are open. Roads all accessible. And honestly the more money that can be brought into the economy the better. Visit the local markets and buy their wares. Cant wait to go back

7. Re: Ecuador travel post-earthquake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2017, 05:16