We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

Do you think Valparaiso would be a nice place for my husband and I to spend one month this winter? We would want to explore from that location. We live in Canada and are looking for a month getaway south somewhere. Thank you.

Munich
Level Contributor
10,193 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

Valparaiso is overrated in my opinien. Much nicer is the neighbour city Vina del Mar.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
400 reviews
2. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

Chile is a very large country. If you want to explore, you can't just stay in a single location. You can aslo explore much more in the Lake District in the South.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

I would suggest that you stay in Santiago which has the best access to the rest of Chile. It is easy to visit Valparaiso - 2 hours by bus.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

I would like to stay in Valparaiso for a month!

Not sure your criteria for choosing a place to stay (#/time allocation for places to visit, Urban/nature). As mentioned Chile is a large (long) country. Santiago would be better for traveling around to other locations. I hear the lake district is really nice that time of year. But I think staying in Valparaiso is fine too.

Just to throw a couple other suggestions your way.

I think Medellin (or Bogota) would be a good place to spend a month. I hear that time of year is nice there. Lots of good Airbnb there.

Buenos Aires is nice, if looking for a more Urban destination. Also lots of nice Airbnb's there.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

No you don't. Just trust me, you don't. It looks nice on the pictures, but in reality it is very run down, and has a lot of bad areas with shady characters. One day is enough. I agree, that it's very overrated and over commercialized. It's really not that great. You will be disappointed.

As for Vina del Mar, once you get away from the coastal areas, it's also a very bad city.

Definitely agree that Santiago is the best place to stay, but even there you will get bored after a couple weeks, as there aren't a lot of places to go for day trips. But at least Santiago is centrally located, so you have more options for going out of the city.

I agree that for one month, it's better to just see ALL of Chile. Chile DOES have interesting sites, but they are so spread out that it's impossible to have one base point. If you only want to stay in one city for a month, Cusco would be a better option.

What made you come up with the idea to stay in Valparaiso for a month? Just curious.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

Hello debToronto,,,,,,I recommended one week in Santiago,,,,,one week in Viña del Mar City ( it is nice) ,,you can visit Valparaiso port,,,,,,,and 2 week in the Lake region at south of Chile ( Pucon City or Puerto Varas City )

Best Regards....Arturo

7. Re: One month in an airbnb in Valparaiso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2018, 07:18