We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip

Sydney
7 posts
Save Topic
Tip

I wish to know how can I tip service in SIN. Taxi, Hotel room service, dining, airport, tourguide...etc.In what % would be suitable to local? Thanks for replying.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip

For cabs ? round it up eg. S$5.20 i only ask for change back for $3 out of a $10.

Hotel and other services related to tourism already has a 10% service charge so u dont need to pay extra but the cleaning crew I tip S$10/day (which I was told I can go down to S$5/day if I am staying for a long time so it is really up to you). As for servers, most Chinese restaurants dont expect tipping (only the American chains do) as

SIN doesnt encourage tipping so it is a matter of personal choice. If I get really good service, I do tip but not on % basis. I normally tip between S$10-$30.

Sorry, dont know the rules about tour guides, dont use them but for rangers (at the malaysian national parks), we do depending on how many travelers there are. We try to make it at least 150 ringgit even if it is only 2 of us but it also depends on the duartion. If it is only for the day, it can be 100 ringgit. Malaysian standard of living is a little lower than SIN.

Good Luck

Good luck

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip

No tipping is required in Singapore (anywhere & anyplace).

But if one feel someone have provide good service & it was an amazing experience.....then it should be btw S$2.00 to S$5.00.......

As for Taxi ride........u might want to round off to the nearest dollar (Eg: S$4.50, U can give a S$5.00 & that will do).

This is not like In Canada / US or anywhere else, where one eat a bowl of noodle soup in a chinese restaurant that cost C$7.50 & Pay tips ontop of the taxes that comes with the bill ^__^.

So in SG, tips only when U feel U have a good experience.......else ask for Ur change ^__^.......

Have a good trip........

Singapore
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip

Generally not required but there is 1 taxi company (SMRT) encouraging people to tip their drivers for good service

Sydney
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip

Your msgs are really helpful. Big thank you.

5. Re: Tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 21:20