We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singapore or hongkong

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
singapore or hongkong

hi can any one help we are not shaw on where to go hongkong or singapore the wifes looking for a shopping trip and i like to bye cheap nike shoes any feed back would be good thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: singapore or hongkong

Totally 2 different cities. But for shopping, Hong Kong more amazing, and complete, as well as cheaper.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: singapore or hongkong

Agree with AndyNg, HK definitely better for shopping but I prefer Singapore for everything else - less crowed for starters!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: singapore or hongkong

Singapore's Orchard Road shopping belt with 22 malls is one of the best in the world...

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: singapore or hongkong

Hong Kong has more brands, and vibrant day time or night. :) you can do your own comparison by checking out their official tourism website.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: singapore or hongkong

according to this report, Orchard Road is world's top shopping district. HK is not even in top 10. Actually its a lowly 29....anyway, I guess u are not one of the mystery shoppers...

cnngo.com/explorations/shop/mystery-shoppers…

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: singapore or hongkong

Is your trip purely for shopping or do you also intend to do some exploring/sightseeing? If it's the latter, Singapore would be the better choice. HK currency is pegged to USD, and currently SGD is holding strong against USD. So things would probably be a little cheaper in HK right now. In Singapore, Nike has an outlet store at Changi City point shopping centre. Just one mrt train stop from the airport.

By the way, public toilets are scarce in HK.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: singapore or hongkong

HK sounds like it will be a better fit. SIN is good for shopping but on an overall basis, u get more variety and prices in HKG (more factory outlet stores, 2nd hand designer stores and of course the 'copies/fakes'. SIN is very strict on copy rights).

That said, beware of what u r buying while shopping in HK. in SIN u r protected by law (and so far, SIN seemed to be very good on getting back to tourists who had filed a complaint about being fooled into buying a Nikon camera but got a Nikkon instead). In HK, even if u r buying an expensive watch that is priced right, u might end up buying one that is real only on the outside (but the mechanism had been switched inside which is what is the most valued in a good timepiece, hence a real collector will never pay for the true value of that watch if the mechanism had been replaced).

If u r just shopping for basics (clothes, souvenirs, etc) HK is more fun a shopping place while SIN is a place where u want a guarantee of what u r buying and looking for specifics (e.g pearls, carpets, high end brands, etc.)

This is from my own personal experiences from living in both cities before.

Good Luck and have fun

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: singapore or hongkong

Very good posts from everyone.

I feel I must add that the weather is very different at the moment. If you want to do some sun bathing, you can do that in Singapore. In Hong Kong, at the moment, that's not possible.

Both places are fantastic, though!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: singapore or hongkong

...and both doesn't really have a good beach compare to other country in the region, if you looking for a good beachside for sun bathing. The view will be port, or container ships.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: singapore or hongkong

Not another Singapore vs Hong Kong question again?!

If you want high-end, cutting edge fashion, go to Hong Kong. But take note that you'll be squeezed out by the hordes of mainland Chinese in the same shop you are in.

If you are looking for variety and ethnic goods, Singapore is the place as we have the different ethnic quarters selling their unique stuff. And here, we have more elbow space for you to browse your stuff.

There is no such thing as a cheap Nike shoe, just like there is no such thing as a Man United fan living in Manchester.