We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Any comments on whether we might visit Katong or Palau Ubin during our 5 nights in Singapore?

We love cities but also like older traditional places with small restaurants and local food?

8 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,906 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

I’d do both.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
806 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Thank you - that will get us out of the city for a day or half day. Because it is you Avanti that answered I am so pleased as you seem to give good advice to all the other questions here.

If we had to choose one - which one? I'm thinking of Katong - and just stroll around and have some food -- any other suggestions for this area? On the island there are nature walks by rangers but none in the time that we can be there so maybe less interesting? Please give your opinion (if you have the time) of what each one has to offer.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Katong is still in the city, really - its not the core areas, but as a city state a lot of it is urbanised and so cityscape of some kind. Its just a diffeent feel to say Orchard Road or the CDB. Pulau Ubin, being an island off the north east of mainland is properly out of the city into greenery. You need to plan bikes or walking to get about as the easiest optons to get to places like Chek Jawa.

Singapore lives on its Garden City format so yo dont need to get out of the city to get out of urban jungle. The Botanic Gardens are an oasis including real jungle in the middle of the city but totally separated from it. One of my must sees, but your short trip means youll get moremust sees suggested to you than you can do so its a case of selecting to your tastes. Similarly there is the Southern Ridges that you can get to and walk from Mount Faber near Sentosa. If you want space to wander then the National Parks board can give you a bunch of ideas that may be more convenient than Pulau Ubin https:/…gardens-parks-and-nature

If you want urban areas with a difference then again there are various districts.

Edited: 12 August 2018, 20:36
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,906 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

I enjoy wandering around and now choose to usually spend 5-7 days of my regular trips out in the Joo Chiat Road/Katong/East Coast Road areas and the rest of my time in the city. Lots of good food to try, interesting architecture. I like 112 Katong Mall and OneKM Mall also. Haig Road Food Centre and Geyland Serai market and Foodcentre are good.

A few good bus stops I us to get back into town from the area - one close to the Joo Chiat Complex, one half way down Joo Chiat Road and another at Roxy Square on East Coast Road.

These photos are why I would choose Katong/Joo Chiat road/East Coast area to explore:-

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AOWYYCWn…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Hi, We spent a day at Pulau Ubin. We hired some push bikes once we got to the island which gave us the freedom to ride around ourselves. A lovely place to visit.

Just remember to carry your backpacks with you at all times and don't put them down as the monkeys will try to go through them searching for food.

Enjoy,

Karen

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

Pulau Ubin is great, go early, so you are not riding around in the heat of the day. Enjoy!

singapore
2 posts
7. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

I would say Katong for 3 reasons

(i) more food options that tastes great

(ii) need not travel as far compared to ubin

(iii) can head to east coast park to cycle near he beach and enjoy sea breeze without going as far to ubin island

Kent
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin

" If we had to choose one "

To be honest only you can answer that as they are 2 totally different activities -

Kataong is one of the many neighbourhoods in Singapore with lovely Peranakan Houses, hawker cemtres, shops etc where as Pulau Ubin is a little island which you reach by bumboat where you can hire a bike and ride around and view the Kampong and wildlife, there is also a shop and somewhere to have a meal.

For me it would have to be Pulau Ubin, every time we visit Singapore we take time out to go over to the island sometimes we combine it with a visit to Changi beach and village :)

Reply to: Vist Kataong or Palau Ubin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted