We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Folsom, California
7 posts
Save Topic
Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Hello,

I'm travelling from US to India with a stopover at Singapore for 3 days. I'm an Indian national and I have a valid US visa. I think I qualify for VFTF in Singapore (i.e, I do not need to apply for a Singapore entry visa). But when I called ICA customer service agents, they all advice to apply for an entry visa. I'm leaving to Singapore on the 29th of Jan and I might not have sufficient time to get a Singapore tourist visa before that. Is there any suggestion you can provide?

Another point is that I have my current US visa valid until Feb 18th. I do plan to return to US on Feb 15th (and I do not plan to come out of transit area in Singapore during my return back to the US from India). While in India, I plan to get my visa stamped for 3 more years (I have visa extension approved until 2021).

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Indie Singapore
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Night Tours, Walking Tours
Let's Go
Bike Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Monster Day Tours
Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Duck & Hippo
City Tours, Walking Tours, Boat Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours
14 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,625 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

I suspect you will be fine if you arrive at Changi and approach the immigration officer after reading reports from others on here.

The problem often seem to be convincing checking staff in India to allow you to board the aircraft to Singapore without a visa and to convince them you are covered by VFTF.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

No, they might not be. They dont meet the criteria for entry on VFTF.....they have ignored a very important point in the eligibility....

While they have a long term visa it will be one with less than a month to run from the date of entry to Singapore before expiry. That invalidates it for VFTF and that is why the ICA has said get a visa.

https:/…enteranddeparting_before_vftf

Sorry but its clearly on the page above, and always has been part of the requirements from my memory. The OP has been advised of this and the need for a visa by the ICA and should be doing it now if they feel that they are on short time. With 11 days they should have enough time to get a visa with a decent visa agent.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 16:04
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,818 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

""You must have a valid visa*/long-term pass (with a validity of at least 1 month from the date of entry into Singapore under the VFTF) issued by any of the following countries...""

The OP can not utilize vftf facility on January 29th with US visa that is to be expired on February 18th.

The advice about getting a singapore visa in advance is correct.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 16:21
Folsom, California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Does the visa expiry date matter as I'm traveling from US to my home country? Also I do have my Visa extension approved and I plan to get my Visa stamped for the extension period while in India.

Folsom, California
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Do you mean a visa agent in Singapore? How do I find one? Could you please explain the procedure to get a visa as quickly as possible?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

<<Does the visa expiry date matter as I'm traveling from US to my home country>>

Yes, because that is the requirement. With long term visas the VFTF is contingent on the visa validity for the other country, not where you are travelling to and from. If you went from Vietnam to the UK via Singapore then you could use the VFTF in one direction on the journey with a long term US visa in place.

<<Also I do have my Visa extension approved >>

You do not have the visa extension in place though, since the approval can be withdrawn between now and the visa being issues it is meaningless - an approval is not a visa, nor a guarantee of one for a third party's (ie Singaporean government) purposes.

<<Do you mean a visa agent in Singapore?>>

No, getting a Singapore visa requires applying through an authorised visa agent in the country where you currently are. These are typically listed on the Embassy website for the country that you live in. If you are in India this is pretty easy as they are all over the country. If you are in the US it may be more difficult, as you will need to go through the relevant consular service if there are no listed authorised agents....the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Singapore maintains a webpage for each of its embassies and consulates, with visa application pages relevant to the territory including authorised agents if they exist.

You need to contact them and get the visa in place as fast as they will do it.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 17:00
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

If you can re-organise your flights so that the outbound to India flight is the short airside transit and the return to the US with the new visa stamped in India as you say is the 3 day stopover then this solves the problem....as your new 3 year visa will be eligible to pass immigration with the VFTF.

All this assumes that you are flying through with one airline - if you have taken the cheap option and used budget or non-interlining airlines then the visa may become a necessity anyway.....

Edited: 18 January 2018, 17:02
Folsom, California
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Thanks myrm...

Regarding the below point,

"<<Does the visa expiry date matter as I'm traveling from US to my home country>>

Yes, because that is the requirement. With long term visas the VFTF is contingent on the visa validity for the other country, not where you are travelling to and from. If you went from Vietnam to the UK via Singapore then you could use the VFTF in one direction on the journey with a long term US visa in place."

one of the other point that is mentioned in the VFTF page is the below.

"Single Journey Visas (SJV) issued by the above countries are also acceptable when transiting through Singapore on the onward or return leg of the same journey. If you are on the return leg of your journey (that is, after you have used the SJV), you must:

(1) Travel directly from the country that issued the SJV, en route through Singapore, back to your home country -> YES

(2) Not have returned to your home country since you last used the SJV. -> Also YES, my current visa is valid till Feb 18th."

In my case, I'm using my existing visa and returning back to my home country.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Yours is not a Single Journey Visa though is it...so its not relevant what you can do in the subsection describing how SJVs differ from long term visas.

Sorry but you have to read the documents neutrally - i.e. read what they say rather than inserting bias confirmation by ignoring document structure and placement at your convenience. That's a fast road to entry refusal, or more likely flight boarding refusal in the first place.

Folsom, California
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)

Got it... Thanks for your inputs. Preparing to apply for a SG entry visa. For my wife's case, her US visa is expiring Aug 2019. So I guess she could use the VFTF option.

Reply to: Singapore entry visa (Indian national with US visa)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted