We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EZ-Link card question

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
EZ-Link card question

Hi everyone, at the risk of sounding really stupid here!:

I've read a lot about how to top up your EZ-Link card, the prices, where to buy them, etc but ... can't seem to find a simple explanation as to what it actually is! I'm in Singapore for 5 days and it sounds like it would be really handy.

What is the benefit of buying one of these cards - is it cheaper fares? Can you get a refund if you don't use all your credit? How long can you use them before they expire?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: EZ-Link card question

Benefits/Features:

You do not have to go to a machine each trip on the MRT and get a card to use for that trip.

The One-trip cards each have a deposit value in the cost (1$ if I rememebr correctly)....those dollars mount up.

The EZ-link card does provide discounts per trip - often only 10-25cents per trip only but again use adds up if you use MRT and buses a lot.

The fare credit is fully refundable on surrendering the card.

We paid 15$S for our cards last yearm that include 7$S of travel credit, plus 5$S card cost and a deposit of 3$S which is refundable. In one week of use as tourists we made back the 5$S cost and more.

When we bought ours we were told that the cards would be valid for 7 years, refundable then or if the system changed - a quick check of the card website does state 5 years current validity, however.

Personally if you were going to Singapore more than once its handy, you may consider the 5$S card cost useful for the convenience even if you do not save that much.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: EZ-Link card question

One more thing, if you travel a lot using MRT and by buses you won't have to queue to get a ticket: you will save a lot of time especially at rush hours.

Singapore
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: EZ-Link card question

They have a card for tourists use.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: EZ-Link card question

The tourist promoted card (The Visitor's Card) is not a great deal if all you want is the travel. It costs 30$S+tax for 10$S worth of travel.

The Visitor's Card really offers other benefits.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: EZ-Link card question

Its a stored value card. You tap it to when you enter/ exit MRT staions/ Buses and the appropriate fare is detucted automatically. The fares are slightly cheaper that buying the appropriate tickets indivudually. Its is also inteligent in that if you transfer from say a train to a bus within a set time in order to complete your journey, your trip is considered a single journey and not 2 separate trips, and a further discount is applied. The card is valid for 7 yrs but its unclear if this is 7 yrs from original purchase or 7yrs from the last top up (either way its along time, and can be used again on another visit) Yes you can get a refund of unused credit but not the $5 cost of the card.

Pros: No need to work out what ticket to buy, no queuing for tickets, cheaper travel.

Cons: if you don't use it enough you may not make up your $5 in cheaper fares and it may end up more expensive.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: EZ-Link card question

BTW, if you an individual single ticket instead of using a Transit link card, you get your entire $1 deposit back when you return the card to the machines in the stations, within 30days (its used again- recycyled). Or you can leave it in the charity box and donate your $1 to charity

You don't get your $5 back when you cash in the balance stored on the Transitlink card but the card is yours to keep I understand, as these cards don't get used again.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: EZ-Link card question

Actually there is another advantage of using the EZlink card. I find it convenient and cheap should I be on a trip to somewhere and suddenly saw something which interest me and decided to alight as I wish. If you do this with the single trip card, you will loose whatever balance in the card where it is intented for.

I think that is a PLUS for tourist and even myself, you don't need to bother where exactlly you need to alight and as you go along, you can decide what to do, even with a half mind....

8. Re: EZ-Link card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:17