We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile data options for Americans

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
Mobile data options for Americans

Spending a few days in Singapore before heading off to Borneo to Kuching and KK before coming back to Singapore for a night prior to going home.

What options do I have? Is there a portable wifi or sim that covers Singapore and Malaysia? I have Verizon as my carrier and can roam for $10 USD ~ $14 SGD a day. Used a mobile wifi in Japan and local sim in Europe. Also roamed for a day in Japan and was able to Hotspot to allow my husband to use too.

Trip is 14 days long.

Edited: 08 October 2018, 17:17
10 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

Ultimately it is cheaper to get a card for each location, especially if you use a lot of data. $12 gets you a Starhub Travel SIM good for seven day 100GB of local data and 1GB of overseas data.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

I did read about that. I would have to get that in Singapore and not at Changi airport right?

What card would you recommend in Malaysia?

Would use to navigate and make calls/WhatsApp/Messenger/WeChat. Probably no more than a couple of GB for the whole trip.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

Oh wait, the Starhub card is good for Malaysia too. So maybe just w2 of those huh?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

ok if my research is correct here...

starhub.com/personal/…happy-roam.html

I can buy at $15 30 days Happy Roam sim card for 2.4GB at Changi and use in both Singapore and Malaysia. That is enough data for me and will use Wifi when we can. Sounds right? Will buy 2 if this is the price.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

Pls take note that all SIM cards are registered and activated inmediately on the day of purchase as required by law.

For the $15 Starhub prepaid card, 2.4Gb is 1.2Gb local data for the first month and 500Mb per month thereafter. The free local data cannot be used for roaming. For roaming, you need to purchase data roaming packs.

Edited: 09 October 2018, 07:07
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

starhub.com/personal/…happy-roam.html

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

Ah got it I knew there was a catch. So I will just get the $12 7 day travel sim in Singapore and another one when I get to Kuching. Thanks.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

What are the pocket wifi options? I really liked using this in Japan because our carrier at home (Verizon) has calls and text over wifi.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

Some allow you to combine Singapore with overseas destinations.

https:/…portable-wifi-routers

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,289 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Mobile data options for Americans

minxbaby- that's awesome! Thanks for the link. Will have to decide if worth the extra money for the wifi vs sim. I think the hubby will think so.

Reply to: Mobile data options for Americans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted