We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

england
Level Contributor
719 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

My son broke his clavicle yesterday, we are flying on Sunday. He's got it in a sling and his doctor says he can fly - will there be any problems with the airline? SIA- going to Penang and then Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
35 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

Pls contact the airline directly.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

orchidluv, hi

I`m very sorry to hear about your son`s injury, but if the doctor says he is fit to fly, i see no problem. You can give SQ a call to reconfirm this too.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

It will be the Airlines decision as to his being allowed to fly. As long as it’s deemed, in the unlikely event of an emergency, he’ll be able to do as instructed, I don’t see a problem, but for sure contact the airline.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

Ouch, much sympathies to your son. If the doctor says he is fit to fly there is little the airline can do - but you need to be able to demonstrate that, so I would ask if the doctor can put that in writing as that supports your case with the airline.

I have seen people fly with leg and arm casts and in slings so they should do it - the comments to talk to the airline are very sensible, if only to prewarn them, make the statement that the doctor says he is OK and to establish if they decide to ask for documentation at that point.

If you have booked emergency exit seats though then he will not be able to use that....an arm in a sling means he won't be able to perform the required duties in the event of an emergency which precludes hi from sitting there.

It will be remarkably uncomfortable for your son - the break will get some inflammation going anyway and the peripheral oedema low cabin pressure brings on will add to that, so find out from the doctor what they suggest is the the most appropriate anti-inflammatory / pain relief option for your son to ease that on the flight.

Edited: 16 January 2018, 14:37
england
Level Contributor
719 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

Thanks everyone, will ring up SIA.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

But best advice in addition, I agree get it in writing from MD on his letterhead. Also agree about staying out of exit row. Hope he has a quick recovery.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

orchidluv, you are most welcome and good luck!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

Bless him :(

One of our trips to Singapore was blighted with our youngest being hospitalised for 9 of the 13 days we were there and we had to return to the hospital the day before we were due to fly home for her to have tests and to get the ok to fly home (I was hoping for a few extra days lol). We were giving her hospital reports and a fit to fly letter, spoke to SIA and had no problem so fingers crossed for you.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

I wouldn’t ask the airline. Who knows whom you may get on the phone. Though they should say, that they are not medically trained to make such a decision and that you should consult your doctor, the easy answer is sometimes to say no. Just get a doctors letter and produce it if asked.

Plenty of people far more disabled than a someone with broken clavicle fly all the time,

Edited: 16 January 2018, 21:00
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?

The other thing you might care to check is any painkillers issued are within the guidelines acceptable to bring to Singapore. You might care to check with the HSA website in Singapore .

hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Re…

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Fractured clavicle- will he be allowed to fly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted