We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Jbr

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
116 reviews
My Jbr

We have just been back to Singapore for 6 nights along with a 3 night cruise.

This was my 5th trip to Singapore and My husbands 2nd.

The first 3 nights were spent at Hotel Royal@ Queens hotel. Superb value as it included breakfast and had a pool.

Whilst in this area we re visited Bugis st area and Little India.

We also celebrated New years eve on the float.

As we had done the Zoo and The Night Safari, this time we chose the River Safari.

We also visited Gardens by the bay.

Our daughter joined us for these 3 nights so we were wanting to do those things together, this was also her 4th trip but wanted to see new things..Singapore always has something new.

The hotel was able to take a single bed so she was able to stay with us.

Gardens by the bay were fabulous but the line for the lifts for the cloud dome was ridiculous. We just saw what we could without going up.

The Flower Dome was so beautiful and very much enjoyed.

New years eve was very wet and we were drenched but the float was a great area as we sat with beautiful surrounds and hourly fireworks with food vans. However the lines for those were also ridiculous, even in the rain.

We also didn't want to shop on Orchard rd this time but wanted to see the Christmas decorations so we asked a taxi driver en route from river safari to take a drive down Orchard rd, so we experienced the prettiness of those. This was our second time in Singapore during the festive season.

We also went to Ce La Ve at MBS and the $20 US comes off food and drink. So we ordered cocktails, however you pay tax on the food and drinks (as well as the ticket) so this isn't a brilliant deal.

With 2 or more we found it easier and probably cheaper to get around in Taxis and all of them were very nice drivers..

It rained almost ever day for the 6 days so an umbrella was essential and waterproof shoes, but it was good as it kept the humidity down.

We did the cruise which was fabulous and then came back and checked in to Hotel clover @ Hong Kong st. It would not have worked had our daughter joined us there as the rooms were ultra tiny, but certainly good enough for us and great value with breakfast and a pool.

We visited Chinatown in this area and Boat Quay..

We also went on the flyer which in my opinion has better views than Ce la Ve in MBS. I was saddened to find they no longer provide head phones or commentary though. We were told that it had closed for a while due to lack of money, and I must say it has lack of life now but I still think it has the best views.

We went back to Little India to Mustafa again and we also find the best rates for changing money are at Mustafa money changers. We do enjoy a meal at Komala Villas when over there too.

We decided to visit Kampong Glam for the first time.

Haji Lane was fabulous.

The Turkish area was lovely too although food prices at most of these we found quite expensive.

I loved the lamps and tiles and perfume oil places of this area. I also bought a gorgeous table cloth which was cheaper than in the Turkish shops in Australia.

I made a stop at a perfume place in Chinatown that I like to visit too, called Jasina, I am told they are all authentic and the prices are still high, so I hope I am buying the real deal. I did notice a few of these shops around.

We also visited the cat café in Boat Quay which I must say, those little darlings have a fabulous view :)

Boat Quay was lovely to sit at night and have a couple of drinks, we found the food too expensive though.

We found alcohol to be a fair price, didn't seem as expensive as we remembered.

I had read water taxis are cheaper then Bum Boat ride, however we discovered they only run during the week and at limited times and you need a card, so that did not work for us.

For the shoppers , a few of my purchases

Funky back pack in Haji lane.

Cactus floor mat in Haji Lane

Gorgeous string of fabric beads from Laos in Haji lane

Table cloth and perfume oils and a hip scarf for belly dancing from Kampong Glam

$1 Lotions and Talcs and wet wipe bundles from Little India.

Chemist products from Mustafa such as arthritis oils etc...and clothes pegs lol, I love supermarkets in Asia.

Model Ferraris you build yourself from Mustafa for the grandsons.

Costume Jewellery from Mustafa

Jewellery from shops near Chinatown

Perfume and after shave

Clutch bags from Bugis street

The usual Singapore tote bags and make up purses both from Chinatown.

Hand towels with the beautiful orchids on them for gifts.

Other things that I'm sure I have forgotten......

But not bad for somewhere that everyone says is expensive for shopping. I always manage to seek out bargains of quality.

We didn't bother going to Universal studios as we didn't have children.

For what we did do such as river safari and The Float, we used Klook. First time and no problems and I bought in Australia online.

So once again we enjoyed Singapore, such a safe clean place to be. I love the mix there of new and old.

I appreciate the help for any questions that I asked in the lead up.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited: 16 January 2018, 06:20
6 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,382 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: My Jbr

Hello WSAH,

Great report. Thanks for coming back and sharing it. Glad your hotels suited. Hotel Royal @ Queens isn’t ultra modern, but it’s good value and a fantastic location.

I felt the same about the cats at the Neko no Niwa Cat Cafe in Boat Quay. Laying on that window ledge with a fantastic view.

Sounds like you got some great souvenirs and little gifts.

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: My Jbr

Thank you. Yes the hotel was great value for money :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: My Jbr

Was good to read your JBR. Where did you buy the orchid hand towels if you don't mind me asking?

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
116 reviews
4. Re: My Jbr

Thank you. I bought them in Chinatown in the OG store. They were $19 but had the little story on the packet about them.

I got mauve pink and also beige.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,382 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: My Jbr

I really like OG. I get a few things from there.

Level Contributor
588 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: My Jbr

Nice detail trip report. Glad that you enjoy it.

Reply to: My Jbr
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted