We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hi. Like to share how my first Bohol Trip went. May 30 to June 2, 2009.

Day 1 Took the 8am PAL flight to Bohol. Stay at Amorita Resort,and just chilled out and enjoyed the resort's amenities for DAY 1. Their infinity pool was great 1 Resort food is so so. So we checked out the good eats suggested by fellow tripadvisors for our dinner. First stop, Trudi's Place. the food was great, wide ranging and inexpensive. Value for money talaga.

DAY 2 We were able to book for a COASTER from the Travel Treats Travel Agency (cheapest out of all DOTC accredited agencies canvassed- 5K for an 8 hr. Bohol Countryside Tour) since we are a party of 16 people, we need a big vehicle in order to have comfty seating. They promptly picked us up 9 am and was able to do all the must stop, must see and must do experiences. Thanks to hibj 08 for the riverwatch resto Loboc Cruise tip. Food was ok, there was shrimp, squid, fried chicken,noodles, fresh fruits and their cuchinta was really delicious. For dinner, we tried out Hayahay Pizza, pizza and seafood was ok , just a little expensive. Just don't order any soup, because all are of them are the ready made Knorr variety, magawgaw and very salty, their mashed potato is no good also, my son said texture like " nabasang polvoron" on the bland side. eeewww.

DAY 3 Woke up really early around 5am, ordered packed breakfast from the resort the night before. Thanks again to hibj 08 help. Mang Henry was able able to pick us up from the ALONA BEACH AROUND 5:45 AM, we hired the boat for 4500 pesos. And his brother Mang Ceasar, the captain of the big, clean, fast boat really delivered the goods, We were able to see dolphins after 1 hour of sailing on the Bohol Sea, so many dolphins, small cute ones mga 4 ft body length, there must be 50 of them swimming along side our boat, the kids had a blast. After catching sight of the dolphins, most of our group went snorkelling after eating our packed breakfast in Mang Ceasar's boat, we transfer to small banca for 150 pesos per head. The boatmen did not take us to the Balicasag Marine Sanctuary, because according to them, this time of the year because of the Habagat winds, that side of the Island have big and choppy waves, so we have to content ourselves on the opposite side, saw lots of marine life also while snorkelling. After an hour of snorkelling, Mang Ceasar set us on course to the Virgin Island. Actually Virgin Island with its pristine sand is actually a sandbar, we were able to collect a lot of different kinds of shells and relocated a handful of starfishes here and there. The best actual beach experience we had in Bohol, we stay for around 2 hours at the Virgin Island. Since the sun heat is quite enervating, we opted to return to Alona Beach, had lunch at Trudi's Place again, just as satisfying as the night before and just as cheap. We were originally planning to eat at the Roderick & Vivian's Place, However, they served grilled items for dinner only. To escape from the heat of the day, most of us spend siesta in the resort and go swimming in the infinity pool again from 4-7pm. Hard to be a city slicker, all those seaweeds lining the Alona Beach is a big turn off. I hope the resort association at the Alona Beach area join together to have the beachfront area cleaned up on a daily basis, the water is beautiful and more clear than that of Boracay but the seaweeds are far too much to be able to have a good swim, quality of sand on the beach front is inferior to that of Boracay. So it's the resort pool for us again. This time for dinner, we went to Lost Horizon's ,place looks nice, so does the food spread. However, the maxim of of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" got us. Food taste bad especially the grilled items like the chicken barbeque was served cold and I believe it was not well marinated like that of Trudi's, because it taste very bland. The pork liempo was also served cold and super charred, our 2 orders went to waste , nobody ate it, complain it to the one in charge, - no action, no discount, no refund nor even a "Sorry po^ for the crappy liempo even for the fact our food bill reached around 6000 pesos, this Lost Horizon has absolutely no customer service consciousness. You are warned. There are better places to eat.

DAY 4 Everyone woke up late , booked from the same tour agency a coaster to take us to the Bohol Bee Farm at 10:30am, we paid 2,000 for the 3 hour coaster rental. The children have a fear factor moment during the Bee Farm Tour, they were asked to hold a panel of man made hive swarming with bees for a photo session, really nice educational tour. And the buffet lunch we prebooked at the Bohol Bee Fatm, the food is really as delicious as everyone said it would be. Delicioso, Adult 420 php, kids 210 php. We bought a lot of pasalubong at their store, should have bought more yummy bread spreads, maybe, i will ask them to Fedex me some when my supply runs out. After leaving the rustic Bohol Bee Farm, Amorita allowed us a late check out, left Amorita Resort around 3pm and hello Manila around 6:30pm

Shanghai, Vienna
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
1. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Thanks a lot for your report. Seems you had a very good time!

I read the point with the seaweeds already a couple of times. Really a shame that nobody does anything against it.

Can't cost too much to pay a couple of guys to clean it each morning...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Great report, I was there in May and also enjoyed the Bee Farm. They do clean the beach in the morning, but I think they need to do it a couple times a day (after high tides I guess) Morning beach was ok, by the evening it was seaweedy...the starfish and pufferfish in the water at the beach were neat.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

This is an excerpt from my travelpod blog on my entire trip outlining my Bohol tour.

Full post at www.travelpod.com/members/ksuter

May 8 was a beautiful day. We got up, and since our cabin was just feet from the beach, we walked out to the beach front restaurant and had a nice breakfast, sitting right by the beach.

Then collecting cameras and stuff I headed up the hill to the lobby to meet our guide for the day, RJ Intano. He was no where to be seen, so I texted him that I was there, and he texted back that he was too. I took a seat and after a bit a lady across from me asked if I was Kevin. It was Connie, an associate of RJ, who had also been waiting for me. Connie was to be our guide, while RJ was going to drive. RJ typically hires a guide to accompany him that is better in the language of his guest, and Connie had very good english.

She told me that her lifes ambition was to see snow and make a snow man. People in the Philippines have no idea what snow is really like. Its just a concept to them.

Once Allan joined us we went outside the gate to meet RJ and head to our first site of the day, the Hinagdanan Cave. The Cave is on Panaglo Island, but opposite the resort, so it seemed to be quite the drive, through dirt roads, showing off the beauty of the Bohol countryside. Allan was taken by how similar it was to Aklan. We arrived at the cave, at the end of a long dirt road, and saw several souvenier stands. We got out of the car and headed towards the sign, to realize the entrance to the cave was simply a hole in the ground.

Under a roofed area, the caves start with a hole with stairs leading into the dark. We headed down the stairs, both steep and narrow, and just for fun, also slippery. We headed down the stairs to the first chamber, a small room with a walkway to a larger room. While dark, the light from the stairway seemed to light this room well.

Entering the second room, we found it darker, much warmer and super humid. A huge pool in the centre of the cave is ringed on one side by a walk way. A couple of electric lights illuminate the area. We walked towards the far end of the cave, but part of the walk way was covered with water. To avoid getting wet I tried to walk around the edges, but slipped, with one foot going into a hole next to the wall covered with water, and I fell down to my knee on the other leg. Connie helped me up, by holding the camera that was in one hand, so I could use my arms to lift myself up.

Everything seemed ok, so we proceded, My knee did hurt a bit and the arm that I had jammed against the wall trying to hold myself up ached a bit, but nothing seemed to serious.

The rest of the cave was a huge chamber, with the aforementioned pond in the centre. Aside from the lighting, there are a couple of holes in the ceiling leading to the outdoors. The ceiling is about 30 or 40 feet up. The water in the cave was high at the time of our visit, as it was high tide. At low tide the walkways would have been clear of water.

A couple of bats were flying around, and the cave seemed very natural with both stalactites, and stalagmites.

We headed out of the cave, and saw another tour group, and while waiting to take our pictures at the sign, we also took their pictures. I noted then that my knee was bleeding pretty nicely.

Once back in the car we asked Connie for a tissue and I cleaned up most of the blood. RJ's car is nicely airconditioned, so after the heat and humidity in the cave, it was a nice change.

Our next stop was the monument for the Blood Compact. This is a shrine to the friendship pact between the Philippine people and Spain in the1500's. A site with a beautiful view over the sea, and a cool statue representation of the event. Lots of people getting their photos taken with the statue. Connie got me a bandaid and some Bactine for my Scrape while here.

We then moved on to the Baclayon Church. This is one of the oldest churches in the Philippines and is a beautiful of a Jesuit built church. We toured through the church with Connie letting us know some of the history. Afterwards we walked around outside the church and got some good outside pictures.

Back in the car we headed to the next site, and on the way passed another church tower, called to Loboc tower, that was leaning. Connie called this the Bohol Leaning Tower of Pisa. It is quite picturesque.

From there we were off to the middle of Bohol island to see the Chocolate Hills. This is about a 50 km drive, but along the way Connie pointed out some interesting things, like the making of thatched roofs with the Nipa Palm, the making of furniture from old tires, and making machetes.

While on the way to the hills we passed throught the Man Made Forest. This was a beautiful drive, and nice and shaded. On the way up the hill, we passed a procession which we were able to film.

As we approached the Chocolate hills we noticed the hilly terrain, and as we drove the incline to the viewpoint we could see many of the mounds. We pullled into a busy parking lot and got out of the car. Connie let us know they could drive us 1/2 way up, but the rest of the way was via stairs.....and what a climb it was...especially in 40 degree temps under the sun. Once up at the top the view was spectacular. Its pretty crowded and at the top there are several people wanting to take pictures for you. The standard pic you see of people jumping over the Hills is actually just a back drop, no so dramatic once you see how its done, LOL. Everyone seems to have a good time, and as I said the view is fantastic, and the hills much bigger than imagined.

After the Hills we drove back down the road, past the Manmade forest once again, and to the Simply Butterfly Butterfly Sanctuary. We were met there by our guide and brought through the Sanctuary. We saw larva, pupil, and catepillars. I even had some catepillars put on me. We then went into the sanctuary and saw many, including having plenty land on us. In this day and age where butterflies are one of the casulties of the bad environment, it is nice to see an area where they are not affected.

There were beautiful gardens with some flowers I had never ever seen. We soon headed back to the car though for the next leg of our trip.

The next stop was the Sipatan Hanging bridge, usually known as the Bohol Hanging Bridge. It is a 40 foot hanging bamboo bridge over the Sipatan River. It is a scary proposition crossing the bridge as it shakes and sways as you walk. As well, the flooring is weaved bamboo, so not level, with lots of places to catch your foot and trip. As well, with others crossing, its not just your swaying that is happening. I have a video of our crossing here. The sign saying only 10 at a time on the bridge also did not help our confidence!!! The other side there are souvenier stands and kids selling candies. Allan bought some, and they were good!!

Next stop was lunch on the Loboc River Lunch Cruise. They have several barges set with tables and a buffet lunch as well as entertainment. Lunch was good, and the view along the river very pleasant. There was a young guy playing guitar and singing, and his voice and song choice was pleasant too. The trip continued up the river to a small set of falls before turning around and heading back. On the way back we connected to another raft that had singers, muscians and dancers. See the video. Quite entertaining.

Our next stop was the Tarsiers. Found at a Tarsier Sanctuary on the banks of the Loboc River, we got to see 4 Tarsiers. These small primates, about the size of my fist, are not allowed to be kept in captivity, and in fact are known to committ suicide when caged. In the sanctuary, the sides are fenced to keep out predators, but the top is open, allowing the tarsier to come and go as they please. However, the sanctuary keeps lots of food for them on hand, and they seem quite comfortable there.

They are the cutest little things, and seemed to tolerate all the human interaction. We have pictures and video here. The sanctuary also had lemurs, and a couple of monkeys, that were pretty cute.

After a stop for some souveneirs, we were taken back to the resort. Great thanks to RJ and Connie who did and extraordinary job and a very fun day. It cost us 2000p for each of us, about $50 each, and this included lunch, admission to all the events, two guides and transportation. Extremely reasonable. Check out RJ's webpage at http://rjtoursbohol.spikeeds.com/iindex.php.

I highly recommend his services.

After a short rest and another walk of the beach, we decided to head to the Bohol Bee Farm for dinner. Alona resort arranged a driver for us for 1000p, he also waited through dinner to drive us home. The Bee Farm resort is a resort, a restaurant, and a bee farm. The restaurant menu is heavy with honey flavoured foods, and my honey glazed chicken was sublime. Allan was not so happy with his Marlin, but his Mango Peanut Butter shake totalled redeemed the meal.

After some souvenier shopping we headed back to the resort and to bed...off to Cebu in the morning!

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hi Kutser. Thanks for the additional info. Made me glad we didn't visit the Hinagdanan Cave, being slippery and all, coz, I have 9 kids with our group when we went to Bohol early this month. Missed the butterfly farm though .... maybe next time, hopefully the resort owners will take it to heart to clean up the beach everyday, pity was not able to enjoyed the beach at all, when the quality of the water was many many times cleaner than that of Boracay. Thanks again.

Shanghai, Vienna
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
5. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hi Ksuter,

Thanks for your great post. I am going to Bohol in one week.

I was wondering if you did all that in one day? When were you picked up in the morning and when did you return? It seems you had a full day of activities...

Thanks,

David

Shanghai, Vienna
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
6. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Ksuter, I am just checking out your Travel Blog.

You seemed to have traveled quite a bit within the Philippines. What was your favorite place so far?

Thanks

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
7. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hi Davitab. Yes, one whole day of packed sightseeing. You leave 8:30am and the countryside tour ends 4-4:30pm. This would include the ff sights - blood compact sight, clarin ancestral home, baclayon church,a 1 1/2 hour lunch on a river cruise, pls choose riverwatch restasurant for better food quality, tarsiers site near Loboc area, bilar forest, hanging bridge, butterfly farm and the Chocolate Hills.

Shanghai, Vienna
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
8. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Thanks Dancing Feet.

On Tuesday I am going there. Looking very much forward to seeing all these great sights.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
134 posts
9. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hello davidtab,

Sent you a privete message. Check it out for information. Thanks

PH
2 posts
10. Re: Report on 4D3N Bohol Trip

Hi. I will be going to Bohol next week for some sightseeing trip, and a 2 or 3 days stay in a reasonable resort in Panglao beach. Your info helped a lot. Can anyone suggest if it would just be ok to get a car from the pier that would bring us to the sightseeing trip and to the resort?