Bear with me, I have never been on a train before so my first being in Japan - and our main part of transportation - is a little overwhelming. I've just read a several things on riding, but I'm most concerned with making sure we know where to go / get off. Can you help with below?
just fyi, because I ask about walking a couple times - we will just have 2 backpacks, no luggage.
We will have the JR Pass. Here are our destinations:
1. Tokyo to Hakone. Tokyo Station - follow signs for Tokaido Shinkansen. Going to Odawara Station using JR Pass.
I have had the questions from Odawara to our Ryokan answered in a different question.
2. Hakone to Kyoto. Odawara Station, follow signs to Shinkansen. Going to Kyoto Station, using JR Pass.
When directions say to take subway, as our do in getting to our hotel... is that included in JR Pass? Are cabs economical? Can we walk from Kyoto Station to Tokoko Inn Kyoto Gojo Karasuma? It says cab is 5 minutes from Gojo to hotel.
3. 4 days in Kyoto. I saw something for a Kyoto pass. Is this a good idea / needed?
4. First day in Kyoto we are going to the Pontocho Kaburenjo Theatre from Tokoko Inn Kyoto Gojo Karasuma.
When I look it up on Google maps (I told you, I have no idea...), the purple lines are Subway? Train? Covered by the Kyoto pass?
In this case, based on the map am I getting on at Gojo and off at Sanjo? I don't see anything that clearly states the station name
5. Kyoto to Tokyo. Kyoto Station, follow signs for Shinkansen, using JR pass. Our destination is either the hotel - Toyoko Inn Nihonbashi, or the Sumo Stadium / Kokugikan Stadium, based on time we get there. These look close enough to walk to and/or from each other? Is that walk safe?
Where do we get off the Shinkansen when arriving to Tokyo? Is it the Tokyo Station and then take something to Ryogoku (I see that as a stop, but not sure of what)?
6. From our hotel, I'm assuming we can just get a shuttle (if hotel has) or cab to Narita to fly out?