We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer with afew questions :-)

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
first timer with afew questions :-)

hi

myself and afew friends are thinking of coming to japan for a ski holiday (we are from australia) here are my questions

1) best time for skiing (i understand you winter is dec till feb?)

2) what are the must sees in japan?

3) best place for snow activities? and how to get there from airports?

4) disneyland? i qould also love to visit this during our trip is it anywhere near we need to go for the skiing etc?

thanks for all your help marley

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,827 reviews
from US$141.53*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
822 reviews
from US$65.74*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
272 reviews
from US$295.84*
Mt Fuji Day Trip including Lake Ashi...
883 reviews
from US$114.14*
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer with afew questions :-)

A couple of good sites to research:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Disneyland is near Tokyo - www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer with afew questions :-)

A lot depends on your budget and how much time you have. The best, most consistent skiing is in Hokkaido; you can also get good snow in the Nagano/Niigata areas, both of which are accessible from Tokyo by bullet train (shinkansen). You can ski into March in some places, but a lot depends on the location and the climate.

The must sees really depend on you. Certainly Tokyo is on the list, but I think if you go anywhere in Japan it should be Kyoto. Two or three days in Kyoto is generally sufficient. In the greater Kyoto area are Nara (another wonderful place for temples); Osaka (large city with an excellent vibe); Himeji (castle is under renovation, but it's still impressive); and Hikone (nice castle if you don't go to Himeji; the views of the mountains are excellent). Hiroshima is a stretch to do as a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto; best to stay overnight on Miyajima for the full effect. I also really like Kinosaki, and there are some ski areas near there as well (in Hyogo Prefecture; not high-end resorts, but decent). Whatever you decide I strongly suggest staying in a good ryokan (inn) at an onsen (hot spring); most ski areas are also onsen areas. Go early in the week for the best deals on a ryokan.

You might check out the various air/rail passes available, especially if you're going to Hokkaido. A good site for travel information is www.japan-guide.com. Also. www.jnto.go.jp is the Japan National Tourism Organization; the site is very good for travel planning. www.hyperdia.com is great for planning your rail trips.

Good luck!

John W.

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer with afew questions :-)

thanks for all your help i will check out all the links youve given me :-) i think our trip would be for 2 weeks

4. Re: first timer with afew questions :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:17