We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

Hi,

I am planning our Honeymoon in Japan end March/Start of April and was thinking of going the Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima.

I would like to spend a couple of days in a Onsen Ryokan along the way. Can anyone suggest a good one us

Thanks

J

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
634 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

If you are going to Hiroshima anyway, you could stay over on Miyajima; it's lovely in the evening when most tourists have gone home, and the Torii gate is all lit up.

I have stayed at Iwaso and it was really beautiful. We stayed in a room in the older section and liked it better than the newer rooms (we ate dinner in a vacant newer room).

There are many many very luxurious places in Hakone (Ginyu is one I've always wanted to go to) to choose from and it's not far from Tokyo; Izu has a lot of famous luxurious ryokans as well. It depends on you budget.

One place that we enjoyed was Magi Onsen ryokan; it's not far from Tokyo, every room has a private bath and a massage chair, and the grounds are lovely.

www.japanican.com/hotels/ShisetsuDetail.aspx…

Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

Thanks very much for the tips Spendthrift. I will look into those options.

How many nights do you think we should spend in a Ryokan?

Japan
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

How many nights- that's up to you, really. However, my Mom says that spending at least two nights is needed to get relaxed in an onsen and a walk around. Honeymoon in Miyajima is a great idea (although I'm not sure about onsen in Miyajima).

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

My suggestion would be to head to Kinosaki. It's a 2 hour trip from Kyoto and is on teh Japan Sea; the weather at that time of year is still cool enough for onsen but not so cold that you can't walk around at night visiting the hot baths. You could then head from Kinosaki to Himeji (2 hours) and visit there before heading to Hiroshima.

As to which is good, that really depends on budget. Since that will be cherry blossom season a lot of places will book early, especially on weekends, so bear that in mind.

John W.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,869 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

I suggest you spend no more than one night at the same ryokan. As long as you travel light (keep your heavy bags at a Tokyo or Kyoto hotel, or use luggage forward service), moving around isn't difficult. Most ryokans are somewhat remote so if you stay a second consecutive day at the same place, there is typically not much to do around the immediate area. Head to your next destination, do some sightseeing along the way, and be ready to check-in to another ryokan late in the afternoon before sunset to have a full experience.

6. Re: Best Onsen Ryokan for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 05:20