We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

California
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

Hi

I am going to be in Jakarta for three days at the end of this month. I'm staying at a hotel near the airport. On one day, I plan to go to the Sentul Circuit to watch some auto racing.

I think the racetrack is about 25 miles from the airport. I am trying to decide the best way to get to the track. Do I want to rent a car, hire a driver, hire a taxi or what? I live in Los Angeles so driving in heavy traffic is not a problem. Although it might be more hassle than it's worth to rent a car for a 50-mile round-trip.

Advice? Thanks!

Rotterdam
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

I cannot agree, yes it is a mess, but there is a lot of order in this chaos. Coming from The Netherlands, a country with by far one of the neediest travel cultures, without hooting, almost a fairy tale, I drove cars and motor bike in this traffic. If you are a good driver, you survive.

Note the amount of accidents or wrecks you see in Indonesia... Jakarta, Kalimantan, Limbok, Bali... I saw 1 wreck, of a previous accident and no accidents at all. Here you see them every day.

This balance of chaos and order has much to do with being crowded, but giving the other people the space they need. In this way you can move very closely and 'trust' each other.

Where us western drivers we just 'hoot and kick the gas' they just brake for each other.

Very awkward is to see that people just drive into the traffic, form a side lane. Without looking. It took a while to realize this is only possible, when you trust the other people, you do not see, to brake for you.

22. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 September 2011, 13:05
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,580 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

<<not sure if my feedback is still relevant considering its already September! >>

No, it is not. The thread is abandoned in May.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

A friend and I arrive JKT late one evening and have reservations at the nearby Sheraton.

The following day we would like to hire a car and (reasonably) English-speaking driver to take us to Bandung, stopping to photograph the countryside along the way. (We hear that it's a beautiful drive!)

Is Silver Bird or Golden Bird the best arrangement for us to make? Can we do that in advance, or do we check at the airport desk? Any idea of what they might charge for such a trip?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

California
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

I did a tour of Jakarta and the surrounding area with a Bluebird taxi driver. It was the PERFECT trip. The cab was brand new and spotless with air-conditioning. The driver, Ruswadi, speaks English well and is the most caring and polite person you would want to meet.

We toured all day. When we stopped to tour, he turned the meter off. My only expense for the day was the metered charge when we traveled from one point to the next. I could not speak any more highly of this driver. If you would like me to put you directly in touch with him please let me know.

After each trip I make I post reports, photos and videos on my website. Please checkout this link to see what I am talking about with this BlueBird driver. Maybe you get a tip or two.

Here's the link:

www.randylewis.org/indonesiaracetour.htm

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

Ranlay, thanks for sharing your trip report.. Really glad that you enjoy Jakarta.. Googled your name up and you seem to be pretty famous in the trackchasing community.. :)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,580 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

MGBIndonesia,

The thread is abandoned in May. Please start your OWN topic, so the details of YOUR trip will not mix with those of the OP.

28. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2012, 09:36
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

Hey Max L, this is not the place for solicitation...

Bandung, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
30. Re: Rent a car, hire a driver or what in Jakarta?

It's just a website i used it does not belongs to me nor i am associated in any way, just sharing an idea with people like me that want some help, as the rates are very low and many people looking for budget services on trip advisor right?