We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

Hi we are off to Bali for the first time in October with a 8, 12 and 13yo. Kids insist on a big hotel with a kids club (our first proper holiday!!!). Read lots of reviews about the Dynasty (great but apparently really busy!?), as well as Hard Rock (great but apparently 'boom boom' music til the wee hours?), but then someone recommended the Holiday Inn....someone else talks about the Melia...and I am just too confused!!! Can anyone shed some light?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

With kids that age the Hard Rock would be quite good I think. The other hotels strike me as being more aimed at families with young children.

You can get a room away from the boom boom music, near the chill out pool.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

Hi how long are you staying in Bali? The other thing to consider is the area in which you are staying and choose that first then look at accommodation. Many people move during their stay to experience a coupe of areas.

For example Kuta is extremely busy, lots of traffic, tourists, busy beach that has surfing waves and some strong rips. The hard rock is located here. It is not on the beach you have to cross a busy street.

The Dynasty and holiday inn are in Tuban or south kuta which is still on the same stretch of beach but a little less busy, holiday inn being the quieter of the two. These two are on the beach. Tuban has large shopping centres and waterbom park. The dynasty gets good reviews because of its kids club so if you are going to get a lot of use from that then worth considering for sure.

Melia is in the gated area of Nusa Dua and is removed from any local tourist shops, restaurants etc. This area is specifically built to cater for tourists. The beach here is calm, best for swimming at high tide and safer for children. It is a good place to stay if you intend to just relax and enjoy hotel facilities.

IF you want this same sort of beach but be surrounded by local restaurants and shops then Sanur offers this. Here you will find the mercure which is beach front and has a kids club. Sanur is an excellent place for families.

I would suggest you start researching the areas, look at photos and work out which is best for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
850 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

Holiday Inn has a teens room that they can play computers x box games table but not sure that the hotel would be right as there is nothing in the pool area but a pool to do .Food and drinks are really well priced .

The problem with the Dynasty is I think they have really started to out price themselves.But great pool area and you just step outside to everything NO taxi involved.My personal thought I think Sanur maybe a little to quiet for them unless they are into water sports.Hard rock looks pretty good to have never stayed there but stayed at holiday inn.

Just try this as a little test read all the reviews on the hotels you have chosen.Do it for about a week and it will come to you which is the best for you.

Don't be afraid to send inbox messages or just ask straight out on the forum we are all looking for the same thing.

A fantastic time in Bali with great value

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

I cant advise on what is the best hotel for you and your needs, and as you state, the choice seems endless.

Myself, I begin by choosing the area I wish to stay, then set a search criteria here on Trip Advisor by price (lowest to highest).

I peruse all the hotels within my budget, then begin to short list based on my own criteria to suit my own needs.

ie: pool, specific location, how close to the beach/restaurants/markets/etc, kids club, facilities and services, etc, etc.

This provides a much more suitable short list, whereby I then begin reading past reviews from guests, ever decreasing my short list.

Once I am down to about half a dozen, I check availability for my intended stay, and generally end up with about 3 different options which stand out.

From these I go through photos (traveller photos which can provide a better indication than the standard hotel photos), then I make my decision.

I find the larger hotels can offer better prices, while the small boutique hotels seem better by way of serenity and personal attention.

Work out what it is that you want, where you want it, how much you are willing to pay, and make your own decisions. Pay attention to past feedback, and then make the most of wherever you end up.

Be realistic though. Bali standards can be different to the standards where you come from, so the higher your expectations, the more you will likely pay. You may not find a cheap 5 star to fit your budget, but you may find a very good quality 3 star which suits.

For me, I use my hotel as a getaway. A place I retire to when I'm ready to escape the crowds, and a place where I can expect a good nights sleep prior to a big day out.

I'll expect a good airconditioner, a good hearty breakfast, cleanliness, polite service, a pool, a decent bathroom, and some quiet and serenity following a long day out exploring.

For me, the boutique hotels are the go, with only a few rooms, a quiet location, and a nice garden or scenic view.

For you, something entirely different may suit..

Everyone will offer advice on the hotels they stayed in,and you may still be confused by choice. I'd instead ask my family what they each expect, what they each want, and make it a family choice......it may turn out a great choice, it may turn out quite average, yet you are not locked in to anything.

Should you instead only prebook a couple of days at a hotel, if you are not entirely happy, you can do a short tour first hand, and then change your accomodation to suit, once you are there, and once you have a better understanding as to what's on offer.

You may not be happy with the town/area, you may not be happy with the hotel. What can begin with an intended stay in Kuta, can develop into a preference for Sanur and a change in locale.

There is never a shortage of hotels and rooms available in Bali, so maybe keep your options open early in the piece.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:50
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

I would book ahead, sep / oct is the Australian school holidays and the popular hotels book out well in advance.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

i am all for booking just the first few days, then wandering around to see what suits. IF you don' t have young kids. Otherwise it is not so easy and if you do plan to be there late September to late October, you really do need to book ahead for the family resorts as they book out in popular times such as school holidays.

Knowing that the kids do want a big resort with all the trimmings, get online now and book when a price suits you. Those places will not have walk ins in September and I have seen so many people turned away very upset ..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

If you can afford the hard rock thats where I would choose - as well as the kids club there is a fantastic pool and there are activities arond the pool every afternoon for the kids as well. The breakfast is great. The road the the beach is easy to cross just all hold hands and eveything else is really close and there are shopping malls and markets 5 mins stroll in each direction

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

My kids were 8, 11 & 13 on our last trip and loved the Dynasty. It is busy but lots of fun! All of the places you mention sound great but found it difficult to get a room for family of 5 at the Hard Rock.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

We were just at the hard rock, two weeks ago, the music wasm't to loud, as others have said the pool is great for kids and adults, heaps of activities for kids, we were only there for three nights at the end of our holiday, would definatlely stay there longer next time. Part of our holiday we stayed at club med that was great too! way too many options its hard to pick!!!!

Perth
Level Contributor
853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family hotels - too many options...HELP!

We have stayed at both the Dynasty resort and the Hard Rock. Yes the Dynasty can get noisy but its just kids having fun. They play lots of games around the pool. We really liked it there. The hard rock has a really good kids club and I am a light sleeper and never heard any noise, we were in a superior room ( the lowest catergorie) The food at the hard rock was expensive as were the drinks by the pool. Out of the two I prefer Dynasty I liked the feel of it.