We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nyepi Day in Bali

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Nyepi Day in Bali

We will be in Bali for Nyepi Day on 31 March 2014. Just want to hear from people who have spent Nyepi day in Bali. We would like to stay in a nice place for about five days inclusive of Nyepi Day so we are not caught up in people travelling before and after. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel to stay in where we can see some of the celebrations on the beach on 30 March. How do the hotels operate on Nyepi Day. We are more interested in the smaller places rather than a huge resort.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

Hi Amaifly!

Have you read this article, written by Whinnie (link on right hand side of main forum page under heading "Top Questions about Bali" This may answer some of your questions!

tripadvisor.com.au/…24354047

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
119 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

I suggest you to stay at Kuta if you want to watch more spectacular 'ogoh-ogoh' parade. You can't turn on the light in your room during nyepi and you can't step outside of your hotel at all. Of course all the light in the public area also have to be switched off. For that reason if i were you i would stay in a bigger hotel with more facilities so at least i could do something while in the hotel since i couldn't go outside.

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

Have stayed in Bali over nyepi day no one can leave there hotel . The hotel that you stay at will run as normal by that I mean food ect you can still swim if your hotel has a pool just make sure you stock up on snack food or any thing you think you may need as nothing is open or moves on nyepi day. You can have lights on in your room but the curtains must be closed. Tv must be not to loud ect just respect there special day .as for where to stay and see the olgaolgas the Kuta area or legian area is where we have stayed. Try the Lokha hotel in padmar street legian or massa inn in poppies lane one in Kuta .both hotels are great. The massa has more open space .there is a olgaolgas olgaolgar parade the night befor nyepi day around 5.30 pm that runs along legian road and a huge one around Kuta and beach area. Kobrob

Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

Have been in Bali on Nyepi day, we stayed in a villa so we went to Carrfours stocked up on food, wine etc and videos etc. and had a great day in the pool, watching video and eating and drinking and sleeping, it was great to catch up and enjoy the quiet.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

Thank you everyone for your advice....much appreciated

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

I love Bali but

Nyepi day affects the day before & also the day after so in total 3 days. A couple of days before Nyepi, they are constructing the Ogah Ogahs & can cause traffic jams because they can close main roads to do it sometimes. A lot of shops etc are still closed for a day or so after Nyepi as the Balinese go back home for the day & can take a while to return.

We went to watch the parade in Seminyak & it started 2 hours late. I understand the laid back lifestyle in Bali but it was a wee bit irritating.

It was an interesting experience but I don't think that I would visit during Nyepi again.

My opinion only :>)))

Cheers Mac

Edited: 25 July 2013, 07:22
Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
116 reviews
7. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

Actually not a lot happens on Nyepi. I stay at Hotel Karthi, it is close to the beach and also to the parade route. The parade is a lot of fun, with Ohgohg. Lots of fireworks then 24 hours of nothing. You can use the restaurant and pool facilities, just can not go out of the hotel, good time to play cards. TV is available in the hotels. Hope you enjoy it, I have been in Bali four times for this event.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

What a buzz..we arrived at kajaneMua Ubud on nyepi eve..witnessed the locals preparing the effigies for the Ogoh Ogoh festival and the completed ones at the reserve where the locals proudly readied them for the parade up to the palace which takes around 2 -3 hours from about 6pm - and the music of the groups that walk with them is quite breathtaking. Dancing with the platforms as they carry the Ogoh ogohs to there final destinations, these people are just wonderful. Nyepi is a day when all services are available at the resort, massages, meals alongside the pool,yoga, you can participate in the making of the offerings and more but you can't leave the resort... But hey you really don't need to...the staff are sensational - we have booked from the 28th march 2014 for 7 nights - see you there, you won't regret it!!

perth
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
246 reviews
9. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

im with mac.

my first nyepi day this year. I will avoid it in future

10. Re: Nyepi Day in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19