We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,281 posts
70 reviews
A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Not being a beer drinker myself, I cannot make comment on this, but my husband often chooses to buy a large Bintang and pours himself several glasses (as you do) to enjoy. Interestingly this trip he has made the observation, that he much prefers to buy a small Bintang to drink from the bottle, as he says something happens to the flavour (negatively), once the large bottle is opened, and it sits and is drunk over a longer period of time.

There you go....agree?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

I'd be happy for the Forum to fund a study tour and I'll report back my scientific observations :-)

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Just drink quicker. Problem solved.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,723 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

I'm not a big beer drinker back home, but in Bali it goes down a treat. I think a big Bintang is okay if you're thirsty and you know you'll swig it quickly before it loses it's chill, as this is when it starts to taste odd. But otherwise I like a small Bintang, preferably in a stubby holder to help retain the chill. Ironically I find that Bali Hai tastes slightly better when it's lost the chill, as otherwise it tastes bloody horrible. Service can play a part though, as if you're somewhere very busy or with poor service, you may want a big one as you may be Mr Invisible when you try to get another.

sunshine coast...
Level Contributor
656 posts
4. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Hi Sue ,

Mark is the same he prefers the smaller size bottle a he finds the larger bottle the beer doesn't stay as cold !! Not to say that he doesn't then buy another one ...or two hehe

Sue X

Edited: 18 July 2013, 01:47
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

If husband and I are both having a beer then we buy a large bottle. If only one of us (usually me) I buy a small bottle. There is nothing worse than warm beer.

BTW for any of you Bintang lovers not in Bali, Aldi have a special on Bintang starting 27th July. 6 pack $12.99 or 24 pack $39.99.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
231 reviews
6. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Hubby also prefers the small, so it stays nice an cold!

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
119 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

It's not only for Bintang but i have to disagree with your theory. Australian tends to drink beer direct from the bottle whereas Japanese tend to pour the beer into the glass first. If pouring it into the glass make the taste worse, why would the Japanese pour it? It's just a matter of culture and habit i guess. Some Indonesian and Chinese also do not drink beer straight from the bottle.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Only ever drink small beers, either out of the bottle or a chilled glass. Only thing to remember in Bali is to wipe the lip of the small bottle before you take your first swig......you never know where the bottles have been stored.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 03:30
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

Ryuta, I think you will find the reason some people do not drink beer from a glass is because 9 times out of 10 the beer glass is not up to standard. A beer glass that has been used for other types of drinks can affect the taste of the beer. Usually the staff have no idea whatsoever how to wash a beer glass properly and a glass with suds or oils from lipstick etc or a glass dried with a towel can all affect the flavour and the head (foam) of the beer. Nothing worse than a flat beer in a dirty glass.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: A quiet observation on Bintang drinking....

The king browns are great if being shared but one out they go flat quick..I have strayed from Bintang and started on the Coronas when out..Bintang gives me a narly hangover for some reason..

Edited: 18 July 2013, 04:13