We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

Hubby & I plan to holiday in Bali with diving in east Bali. I am a diver and he is not. Which area should we stay to :

A) Minimize travel time (to diving site);

B) Allow him to have other activities while I dive (swimming on the beach, snorkle, sightseeing).

Luxury is not a necessity but we appreciate something a bit more than basic. I was told about Candidasa but it seems it is still far from diving places, nothing much around and the beach is generally not swimable. Thanks a lot for the inputs!! Regards, M

4 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

Have you taken the time to read the descriptions of the diving areas in Bali? It's in the first pinned post at the top of the forum. There is also Nusa Lembongan & Nusa Penida.

Amed may fit your bill, and you can travel to Tulamben to dive also.

We dive Tulamben for at least a month, twice a year, and also sometimes dive on the north as well. Forum member Notapigsty dives Amed each year, and also sometimes travels to the north to dive. He has a non diving partner.

Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

Thank you cbimages..

Yes, I did browse the diving sites in Bali. In fact, I did dive in Tulamben and Amed once but went alone and stayed in Nusa Dua and Seminyak. Now that I'm not alone, I am thinking of area that is more manageable for hubby and me + I intend to have more dives hence not wasting time on the road.

So, if I understand your recommendation is to stay in Amed?

I may not be clear about luxury/more than basic. In fact, what I want to say : we don't want basic places. We would even be willing to splurge on luxury at times. But I guess there're not so many options for luxury in Amed or Tulamben or Nusa Penida. Perhaps Nusa Lembongan could be a good compromise?

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

I think that the other question you need to consider is whether you are OK to be away all day, leaving hubby alone. In Amed, you can spend time together between dives, whereas, if staying Nusa Lembongan, you may be away most of the day on a boat.

Hubby could do a day trip or two from Amed too as well as swimming and snorkelling. I don't know how much luxury you are after, but there are properties as expensive as $AUD350/night in Amed. And all price points below as well.

While I don't stay in Amed, it does seem to fit your requirements, so yes, that is where I would recommend.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,134 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?

Hi,

I dive and the wife likes to snorkel. We always spend the biggest proportion of our Bali holidays in Amed.

Most dives are local around the Jemeluk bay area so as "cbimages" above mentioned you are back at the dive centre between dives. Most dive centres do 2 morning dives and you are all finished by lunchtime. Even if you go to Tulamben for 2 dive morning trip you are normally back by 1pm.

e.g.

We stay at www.kembalibeachbungalows.com

Straight in front you just fall in the water and start snorkeling.

There is a local dive sight called the Pyramids which is straight in front of Kembali. The entry point is infront of the property next door (left) exit right.

We actually walked through Kembali to get to the beach, said hello to the wife by the pool. On exit as diving is full service just left gear on the beach and said hello to the wife on the way back to the dive centre.

You can also dive from local Jukung fishing boats. We got one from in front of Kembali and again on return could just pop in and say hello to the wife.

So for easy access I would stay around the Jemeluk bay area.

Near Kembali is www.adventurediversbali.com

Run by a Brit/Belgian couple.

Will also give a shout out to www.balidivecove.com

Recently started up.

Run by a Brit girl called Jordan and her Balinese boyfriend (maybe husband now)

She used to work at Adventure Divers. She is a qualified PADI Instructor and both myself and my daughter have dived with her both in Bali and a number of years ago when she worked in Malta.

If you choose Amed please be aware that Amed covers 10km of coastline and some property can be isolated hence my suggestion you stay around the Jemuluk Bay area.

Reply to: Where to stay if i want to scuba dive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted