We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

Hey y'all, me and my family were thinking of visiting Hong Kong in around the last week of August or so. We are fine with the hot and humid weather because we ourselves stay in a hot region, but I was warned about typhoons and rains during this time.

How frequent are the rains/typhoons? The weather forecast for the last week of August shows no sign of rain, but I am not sure if they are accurate for Hong Kong (I studied in the USA and the forecasts for the region used to be bang-on accurate). We really do wish to visit Lantau Islands, Macau, do the "Land Between Tour" etc and of course Disneyland and an HK city tour. Any advice / opinion would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Edited: 15 August 2015, 15:47
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

Well according to the BBC weather forecast between now and the 24th of August (which is as far ahead as they show just now) there is one lovely sunny day. The rest are rainy/very rainy and thunderstorms are predicted on 3 days. No info I can see about typhoons. So yes it rains a lot at this time of year!

However they have a very good advanced warning system in place for different levels of storms/typhoons and the various attractions like Ocean park and Disneyland may have restricted opening or be closed depending on how bad the weather is forecast to get. The airport only closes in the most severe cases but this does happen more in typhoon season of course.

We have been to Hong Kong twice between December and February and it is just like a good Scottish summer (though even then more humid!!)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,274 posts
2. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

More than three days in advance is usually not very reliable. Too often the forecast more than three hours in advance is totally off.

If a typhoon comes (it is typhoon season) weather forecast is even less reliable. This you know usually just a few days in advance. It is rainy season; for today we had a prediction of showers but got a red rainstorm in the morning, after that it was dry in the afternoon and evening save a single shower just before sunset.

All in all it's unpredictable. You may have rain, you may have sunshine. Chance of a typhoon but it's not very high.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

discoverhongkong.com/eng/…climate.jsp

More general typhoon info. Post 2 from someone on the spot so they have more experience of HK weather at this time of year :-)

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

@ maybeishouldwalk - Thank you so much for your help and also for posting the link, really appreciate it :).

@ wvmarle - Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it very much. I just had a follow up question, if I may - The rains around now in HK, are those the kind that may make it hard for tourists to venture outside i.e. very heavy etc or that they are comparatively light?

Edited: 15 August 2015, 18:09
HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
5. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

The chance of a Typhoon for any visitor is nearly 0%. It's not something to be worried about generally. The Pacific is huge and Hong Kong is tiny..... There have been about 16 or 17 typhoons on the west pacific this year, only 1 or 2 have came anywhere near to Hong Kong and really just brought rain for a few hours. It's rare.

Unfortunately you have just won the jackpot on the lottery and there IS a typhoon currently heading in the direction of Hong Kong at "the end of August".

Typhoon "GONI", is a candidate that "could" cause problems, but it's too far out to make any accurate predictions. It's not something to make you change your plans yet, but something to be aware of.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,274 posts
6. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

During red rainstorm you usually can't go out but then it also usually lasts for just a few hours. It's a bit a matter of luck. It's rare to have multiple days of rain.

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

@JamieWHk

@wvmarle

Thank you so much for all your help, all this information is extremely helpful to me. I will chew on this information now and decide on my plans.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,364 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

Even during the red rainstorm a couple of days ago, only certain districts experienced heavy rain, while others are nothing unusual. It's really a matter of luck what you will encounter while you're here.

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

@Glacierfed: Can understand, thank you very much for your help!

10. Re: Visiting Hong Kong in late August 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2016, 05:18