We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap phone? Wifi?

Midlands,England
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap phone? Wifi?

Hi all I have a picket wifi device that is licked to an Oz network...

Anyone know where I can get it unlocked cheap?

Also which network is best to get sim card from to cover me for HK then Vietnam Cambodia Thailand Laos ... Or will I have to get all different sim cards for each country?

Final question can I buy a cheap unlocked phone here?

Many thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap phone? Wifi?

No idea about pocket wifi, sorry! HK Extras gives some good info about internet access/wifi, which might be handy: www.hongkongextras.com/internet_access.html

Where are you currently? Are you in Australia, by any chance? The reason why I ask is because you can buy cheap unlocked phones at Big W, Dick Smith, etc. I've seen some under $30, but, it's for a very basic phone.

In HK, all phones come unlocked, so, you shouldn't have any issues.

I think it might be better to buy a local sim card (but, I'm certainly no expert on this, sorry!), as rates are usually cheaper because you'll be on roaming, if you don't, which can eat up quite a bit of credit.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

KL
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap phone? Wifi?

Want to know where can I buy sim card for me to do local call? I need to contact my friend who visit HK with me but has his own intinery. Is it possible to get two sim card so that we can contact each other? How much it will charge? Is the sim card suitable for any types of handphone?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
764 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap phone? Wifi?

sccKL

SIM cards are universally available in HK. Call and text rates are not expensive, so you wont have any problems keeping in touch with your friend. Pick one up from any convenience store. When you purchase , ask store to allow confirmation of compatability. Unlikely it will not work.

4. Re: Cheap phone? Wifi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:21