We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailors - can we get a suit made

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tailors - can we get a suit made

Is it is myth or will my husband be able to have a bespoke suit made at a reasonable price and quickly. We are staying for three nights in November 2006 and wondered if anyone could give us any tips / costs / time allowances for this indulgence. Many thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

I have talked lots about this, and there are a lot of other posts about this. Just search Tailors in this forum.

I know Sam's tailors can do your suits/shirts in 3 days. No problem.

Dhahran
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

Sam Tailor seems to have a lot of good review everywhere. Don't grab one of those touts advertising tailors, they are all over the place.

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

DO NOT GO TO SAM'S TAILOR. We were just in Hong Kong earlier this month, and went there because of the recommednations. They charge $400 for a men's suit, which is double what you should be paying for. 30 minutes after we placed our order we decided they were too expensive and went back to inquire about a cancellation. They began yelling and cursing at us for even asking. They claimed that all the material had been cut even though we saw the fabric roll sitting in the same place we had left it. When I called my credit card minutes after we left, I found that they had already charged my card, even though they had said they were just holding our credit card number to charge AFTER we picked up the suit. The next day I tried using my credit card and it was denied. When i called my credit card to see what the problem was, I found out that Sam's Tailor had charged it 2 more times, once under a "no vendor" claim. I believe they would have charged me more had my credit limit not been reached.

They are well known because they are considered a "designer" tailor. But we went to Shaniele Custom Tailor in Tsim Sha Tsui on Nathan Road, which is on the same block - a couple stores away, and they provided excellent service. We purchased a total of 3 suits and several shirts. The quality is excellent. We would highly recommend them for good quality, good customer service, and a reasonable price.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

Well seattlegal8 does seem to have had a bad time with Sams Tailors.

It does appear however that maybe the whole story is not being told here, certainly we can't get the other side from Sam's staff.

The only reason I am questioning this is the fact that Sam's Tailors has had good reviews over a long period of time.

Perhaps an irate customer got the better of him or his staff in this instance?? We will never know.

I still tend to lean towards Sam's as a reputable tailor.

Denza

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

3 nights is definitely enough time for one of the MANY tailors in Hong Kong to make your suit.

Arlington, VA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

I just had 4 suits and 9 shirts made at Sam's Tailors in 1.5 days.

I went in for first fitting on Saturday morning at 10am and by Sunday at 12 noon everything was made -- and it was perfect. They delivered everything to my hotel and Sam even gave me an old used suitcase so I could travel with everything. Excellent experience, reasonable prices, and good customer care - well worth the trip.

Tom Whittaker

Arlington VA

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

Three nights is enough to make a suit maybe, but I think I would want more than one fitting. I also think that the more expensive the suit is the more likely it is to hold its shape over a longer period of time. The Op shops here are full of suits made in Hong Kong or Bangkok that look like hop sacks, largely because of poor. hurried tailoring. I think it might be better to look in the department stores all high-end shops to see what's on sale there, you might block onto a bargain, and probably would last a bit longer than something made inside of three days. However I think that previous poster's being a bit hard on Sam, if someone walked back into the shop and tried to cancel I think I might get a bit irate to depending on how much preparation an, Work I'd already done. I also regard $400 US as about the minimum I would spend on bespoke suit in Hong Kong, much less and you're getting an inferior product.

southport
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

hi

we arrive in hongkong late afternoon thurs 29thoct and leave on sunday evening 1st nov.

my husband is 6ft 6ins so has trouble getting off the peg suits to fit, so thought while we were in hongkong he would get some made, as we hav'ent got that long in hongkong i don't want to spend time going around tailors comparing quality and prices so do you mind me asking as you recently purchase suits from sams how much you paid, i know the choice of material will vary but a rought idea would be great.

thanks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

With 3 days in HK, you can definitely get a suit made, but make sure you visit the tailor shop IMMEDIATELY when you arrive. That way, they'll have the most amount of time as possible to get your fittings in and make any adjustments needed.

Cost of the suit will depend on your material choices. $150-200 USD suits can be found but your 90 year old grandpa would likely reject them. $400 USD is a good average for a decent looking suit. $40-50 USD for a shirt

10. Re: Tailors - can we get a suit made

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 06:17