We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus card question

Oil Country
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Octopus card question

I heard this a a great card to get for the convenience. I understand you are allowed 3 days free use of the MTR. I am going to be in HK for 2 nights, going to China for 3 weeks and coming back for 3/4 nights. Is it better to buy the Octopus card when I come back as then I can take advantage of the full 3 days?

Alternatively I could buy one when I arrive, get a refund before I go to China . When I come back, I could buy a brand new card to get another 3 days MTR use. Is that a good idea?

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus card question

You are thinking of the tourist octopus card which gives unlimited travel on the MTR. Generally not a good deal unless you travel on the MTR a great deal in those 3 days.

Better to get a normal 'on loan' octopus card ad pay for each journey,whatever type of transport, as you go. You can get the card when you first go to HK, then use it again when you return. Get your refund (minus HK$7) when you finally leave HK.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus card question

Also look here:

tripadvisor.com/…22239180

Oil Country
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus card question

Thanks. I didn't know there were different types of Octopus cards.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus card question

Yah, the Octopus that they market for tourists is generally a poor deal (which of course makes it a good deal for the MTR, and that is whay they market it.)

The best deal is to get an ordinary, run-of-the mill octopus like we locals use.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
5. Re: Octopus card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:36