We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current weather and what to pack?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Current weather and what to pack?

I'll be going HK next week and just wondered what the current climate is at the moment to help me pack for my trip.

Would be helpful if someone gave me the average for day and night.

I was hoping to wear jeans and a t-shirt during the day and maybe a cardigan/sweater during the evening/night.

Is this ok? Or will it still be hot that I would need to wear shorts?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

There is a link of the right hand side that will give you a 7 day forecast.

We got back 3 weeks ago and it was hot and humid. Personally wearing jeans during the day is a mistake....really humid if you're not used it...most tourists are in shorts, dresses etc (sorry if you're a guy!) The clothes stick to you and i cant think of anything worse than jeans. My hubby packed jeans and slacks and they were a waste of suitcase space!

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

This is the link (HK Observatory's 7-day forecast) Mella was referring to: http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm :) It's currently in the 23-29 degrees celsius range (expected to rain a little this week/next week). I wouldn't expect to wear anything too heavy/warm, as I don't think you'll really need it (but, perhaps, one or two items wouldn't be a bad idea, just for safety sake).

Have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

If you are from London, this weather should feel awfully comfortable to you. It'd be like summer weather.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,201 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

I agree with Mella that it is too hot for jeans. Chinese kids wear them all year round but way too heavy for me. If you have a little bit of spare cash and a little time for shopping I'd bring VERY little. At least you can buy a silly T-shirt that says HKG or a pair of sneakers in "sneaker st" (Fa Yuen St) or some nice linen pants in Stanley Markets. I am still wearing 3/4 length pants to work & lots of the kids are still in shorts. Evenings do not cool down much. Again I'd suggest buying scarves/shawls in the markets to wear at dinner if the AC is too cool (ladies!)

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

Wow, didn't expect the weather to still be humid in October?

Last time I went HK was end of August/beginning of September and that was VERY humid and hot, so is the weather generally the same in October too?

I didn't really think of packing shorts, but looks like I'd better now.

Was also planning to bring quite a few sweaters and hoodies, but I guess one or two will suffice.

As long as it doesn't rain much I'd be happy. But I have to say, HK rain tends to be different to rain in London, whenever it rains in HK it seems to rain hard for an hour or so and that's it... in London if it rains, it drizzles all day long :(

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

mhou,

Yes october in HK is like summer for me at least. Shorts, Bermudas and sandals are a must, but you would do good to pack one pair of jeans and one jacket that goes with everything. I suggest packing something "fancy" or clean in case you want to go to a venue that requires it (although this has never happened to me). Sandals, good walking shoes and perhaps a pair of clean business shoes. You are best to decide on the style of things you will go to.

Yep, rains hard then its over :) Also, it's very easy to move around in HK with a constant roof over your head. Walkways are great for that, MTR, indoors malls... I doubt a little rain will stop you from doing anything you love.

Enjoy HK!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,201 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

It is no longer the rainy season so you will not get heavy rain at this time of year. As the monsoon changes from S-E to N you can expect more foggy/smoggy days though. I repeat you will not need a "sweater". Certainly not 2! A hoodie might be OK in the evening in the night market, or a light cardigan for inside the hotel or on the plane.

8. Re: Current weather and what to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 06:20