We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Chongqing, spend it in Chongqing or Dazu?

Tianjin Region...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Chongqing, spend it in Chongqing or Dazu?

I will be in Chongqing for 1 day, arriving in the evening then leaving tomorrow evening. I wonder if I should stay in Chongqing and explore the city, or go visit the Dazu Carvings for the day instead? This is part of a larger trip that includes Chengdu, Hangzhou and Nanjing, and I've seen plenty of temples and Chinese architecture already. The attractions at Chongqing don't really seem that interesting to me, just similar attractions in other Chinese cities, so I'm tempted to go to Dazu instead. Is there anything I would miss in Chongqing?

Also, I would be there on February 10th, during Spring Festival, do you think the Dazu Carvings will be crowded? And do you think it is easy to go from Chongqing to Dazu and back in 1 day, since my train leaves in the evening, around 8 pm?

Mentioned in this post
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Nanjing
Nanjing
Jiangsu, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Chongqing, spend it in Chongqing or Dazu?

Given that particular week and your schedule, no I'd stick closer to Chongqing and not go carting off to Dazu. If you do decide to go to Dazu and you're on a budget so need to use public transport, try to get on the earliest bus out--something should be leaving from one of the CQ bus stations around 07:00. Get to Dazu and spring for a local taxi to get to the main feature site Baodingshan. Get a ticket, walk to the Caves and spend a couple of hours there. Usually if you get there early enough, you can stay one step ahead of any tour groups, but during Spring Festival all bets are off. Dazu at Baodingshan is a fairly confined area and cannot accommodate a lot of people without discomfort. There's no regular public transport from this Dazu site back to the central town, but if there's no taxi dropping somebody off that you can grab, usually the gatehouse at the front of the parking lot can get somebody to take you back to either the bus station or the Beishan site. Beishan is not as impressive as Baodingshan but is only about 1 km-ish from the bus station, so walkable. See how your time is running and dispense with Beishan if you must. Buses from Dazu back to Chongqing usually leave around every 30 minutes, buy as walk up. Allow 2 hours travel each direction. With a cushion on the Chongqing end to get to the station, and give yourself some time to grab dinner, I'd leave Dazu by 14:00. It is doable.

Mentioned in this post
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
Tianjin Region...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Chongqing, spend it in Chongqing or Dazu?

Ok, thank you for the advice, I probably will just stay near Chongqing then, it sounds like it's like a big hassle to get there, and it sound like it will be too crowded. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chongqing
Chongqing
Chongqing Region, China
3. Re: 1 day in Chongqing, spend it in Chongqing or Dazu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2017, 06:16