We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
70 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

I'm looking for a small day tour to part of the GW that doesn't have the hordes of tourists at Badaling.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Mutianyu is a little further out. Jinshanling about twice as far out as Badaling. They are the easier places to get to and the distances from downtown reflect the average numbers of visitors and degree of 'touristiness'. They are nothing like Badaling, though, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

If you go to Mutianyu, go early. Then you are there before the tour groups arrive. It is still not as crowded as Badaling, but when you are in time, you can still make pictures with no people on the wall.

Auckland
Level Contributor
504 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Look at Beijing Sideways tours mentioned on here, we have just come back and visited the wall with them. There was 6 of us there, 2 guides and 4 on the tour, we saw one other chap selling T Shirts but didn't figure out who too ! It was a truly memorable day, not cheap but worth it to see such an incredible place crowd free

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Go to Mutianyu first thing in the morning. Be there when it opens. Mutianyu can also be very busy if you do not get there early.

If you are thinking about day tours ( ie: on a tourist bus) this will be a problem with most parts of the more well known sections of the wall as you will be arriving the same time as everyone else... It will be very busy!!!

If you want to go down the group tour day trip also make sure you specify no shopping stops!

You can also opt for Jinshanling. It is further away from Beijing than Badaling & Mutianyu. This section is only very partly restored but it won't be anywhere near as busy as Mutianyu & Badaling. You can also do it cheaply if you go thru a youth hostel like Downtown Backpackers rather than an actual tour company.

AucklandShelly - which part of the wall did they take you to? Crowd free - was it Huangcheng ?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Agree with the "go early" cry.

Leave Beijing at 7am - this will get you to the wall a good hour before others. You will be there within the first dozen visitors. Tour buses don't leave Beijing until everyone has had their breakfast!

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
91 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

Hi, we also just returned and had gone to the Wall with Beijing Sideways, and OMG, this was a superb day!!! I just couldn't say enough good things about the entire day, the section of the wall was remote, it was steep, it was exciting, it was a day that i will never forget, certainly up there in my top vacation memories!!! (ps - it was pricey, and it was soooo worth it)....

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

I too agree with the go early policy when you go to Mutianyu. Its a lovely section with wonderful views, and even better when you get there early,

We got there for 9am and although there were people around, it wasnt too crowded to be uncomfortable, and I got some great pictures of an empty section with no people in the shots at all

8. Re: How far to non-touristy Great Wall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:16