We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticketing company

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train ticketing company

Hi everyone! I'm traveling to Shanghai via train. Does anyone know of this online ticketing company? …chinaticketonline.com/english/index.php…

I wonder how reliable is this online ticketing company. Any advice?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticketing company

Don't know anything about the company but the prices seem to have a 60% mark-up.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticketing company

Do you think I should buy the ticket after I have arrived in Beijing?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticketing company

I really don't know what the situation is regarding availability of tickets. If you feel it is necessary to purchase before you arrive perhaps your hotel's travel desk can help for a small commission.

This is the second post I've seen today on this subject and in each case the service charges, either overt or very much covert as in this instance, have been ridiculously high.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticketing company

Thanks for the advice, Qupnicely. I'm so glad that you are around to answer my questions.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticketing company

You can also try www.chinatripadvisor.com www.chinatraintickets.net www.china-train-ticket.com These aren't personal recommendations but other options for you to look at prices. All the web train ticketing agencies put a big mark up on tickets.

They also don't post overseas so you need a physical address in China for them to send the tickets too. The ticketing agencies also can not buy a ticket before they come on sale.

You don't say which train you want a ticket for. Some of the luxury D class sleeper trains come on sale 20 days before & other classes of trains 5 to 10 days before. If you are going to be in Beijing a few days before departure you should be okay to buy your tickets when you arrive rather than have to use an expensive online ticket agency.

You can either go to the train station - Beijing main & west stations have an English speaking counter. The easiest way is to get your hotel to buy your tickets for you. They should only charge a small commission.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticketing company

Yeah, that's the website I went to. I've been confirmed with the reservation for "D" train, but I'm not sure about paying USD 128 online. Basically, I'm not sure if this website is legitimate.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticketing company

The websites I mentioned are legitimate. I have not heard of the one you are going to be using - chinaticketonline.

How many days are you arriving in Beijing before your train to Shanghai. If it is a few days before it is really not necessary to use an on-line booking service.

As I said all the booking site's will "confirm" a ticket but even they can not actually purchase a ticket until they come on sale & the tickets are released.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticketing company

It's the same as chinatripadvisor - no connection with this site, as far as I know.

I wouldn't dream of paying $128 for a $79 ticket - what a rip-off!

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticketing company

Dear Sahlab,

We also recommend asking your hotel front desk to assist with the train ticket purchase. They would normally charge a RMB 20 - 30 booking fee, which is very reasonable.

It may also be worth it to check flights on ctrip.com, or elong.net for good deals as sometimes flights are cheaper than the trains.

~ HiasGourmet

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticketing company

When you are looking at that much to buy a train ticket on a website it is certainly cheaper to buy an air ticket! That route is always discounted for flights.

Qupnicely I so agree - that is a big rip off.

OP - You still have not said how many days you will be in Beijing before you depart for Shanghai ???