We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
81 reviews
Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

For anyone interested, I just read in a local magazine that the Schoolhouse restaurant will be laying on a bus service to Mutianyu. It will only operate on Saturdays and you need to reserve a place by the Thursday before. For 1 - 3 people it seems good value compared to hiring a taxi/driver, however the times are fixed and it would not be suitable for anyone just wanting to do a half-day trip. Details here: theschoolhouseatmutianyu.com/downfile/school…

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

Thank you for telling us about this. It sounds like it might be a great way to get to Mutianu, and it seems you have two choice for when to go and when to return. Do you think there is enough of interest in the area to justify spending this amount of time. We do not want to be hiking for hours.

Have you heard much about this restaurant? Is it called the Schoolhouse? About what would a meal there cost?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

It's been reviewed on TA and others seem to rate it highly but I've never been. I think 3 hours on the wall would be plenty, add an hour for a sit-down lunch and that leaves you 2 hours to kill... not sure what else there is to do there.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

If the weather was good, I could spend several hours at Mutianyu. I actually don't like Mutianyu that much, but I like ruins of the wall better and even less people so it's not my first choice.

I have eaten at the Schoolhouse. It is an artsy place with a few Western and a few Chinese options (the overall style is more Western). It is really quite good, and you can enjoy a view of the Wall. You can find a menu on their website. With drinks you might spend 100 RMB, more or less depending on what you order.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
173 reviews
4. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

Thanks for these replies. It would seem that if we only have a few days in Beijing this is not the best use of our time. The restaurant would be great, but not the waiting around.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

The Schoolhouse is run by Jim Spear, an American architect, & his Chinese wife.

They are really knowledgeable about the area and are very community based. As travellevret mentions the food is a mix of western & Chinese so it will suite all tastes. If you are going to the Schoolhouse also take a quick look at Huairou town.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,334 posts
173 reviews
6. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

Thank you.

7. Re: Alternative travel option to Mutianyu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:16