We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to save over £100 on Malarone

Surrey
Level Contributor
22 posts
How to save over £100 on Malarone

Hi

First I've got to say that this site has been invaluable in booking and planning our trip away this year. My wife and 13 year old son have booked to go to the Voyager Hotel at the end of August and even though there's been some frightening tales of building works, I'm optimistic that we're chosen well and just can't wait for the experience.

As for the malarone, my son needed an adult prescription and we were told we needed 24 tablets each. So after the shock of paying £14 each for private prescriptions we thought we'd shop around for the best price for the tablets. I remembered reading on this forum a while ago about getting malarone at a decent price from Boots on line and can confirm that this seems to be far the cheapest.

If you go to Boots the chemist then they charge £3.76 a tablet. With Boots on line the price plummets to £2.10 each. I can't take the credit for this but it's thanks to Trip advisor that we were able to save nearly £120. It took me a while to register on the website and work out how to order the tablets but its well worth the effort.

Just got to work out how to get our visas now (and save some spending money!) and we're all set.

Hope this saves someone some money....

regards

Tony

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
126 reviews
187 helpful votes
1. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

This should help with the visas

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294206-s602/Kenya:Cr…

Bruce

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
32 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

digger22 - we've just received our visa's through the mail but it does cost an extra £5 to buy £60 worth of postal orders to pay for them (2 people), plus £3.40 recorded delivery postage there and back, plus the cost of passport photo's.

I suppose if you really want to save a bit more money then you might want to do what others have recommended and buy them when you arrive. We didn't because I like everything organised and sorted before I go!

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

I've read about the "buy on line" ones and I have ordered a big parcel online from Boot's for the usual med's and suncreams in the past. How does it work though for private script med's ?? Do you have to send the script into them ?? or is there a code on the script that you type in when you order ?? Or do you order on line but collect locally and hand the script in then ??

Surrey
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Hi

Thanks for the link re visas Bruce, thats my next job.

I'm afraid I'm a lot like you SagaLout1954, I like to have everything sorted out before I go. I suppose the planning is all part of the holiday. Saying that we had a disastrous holiday in Mexico last year when hurricane Wilma landed on us, so the planning didn't help too much there! ...but thats another story.

Laraevans1972.....the Boots online experience is fairly painless. You have to register first before placing your order. You then are led through the process and have to post the prescription off to Boots (which we did by recorded delivery, even though its a freepost address...cost 68p)

There are various ways that the drugs can be delivered to you, either at your local post offce for pick up or even to your local boots. I've plumped for them being delivered to my home address and have received an e mail today saying they should be here tomorrow. Because of the price, you pay nothing for postage.

One thing that did confuse me was when given an option of selecting the Malarone. There were two options, a dosage for children and another which said something like...100mg and 250mg. We contacted our doctor and they told us that this was because the tablet contains two different ingredients and that these were not different dosages.

Hope this helps....good luck

regards

Tony

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Digger....arrgh right, okay. It has puzzled me for month's how "they" actually did the exchange of the script for over counter bit's and bob's....cheers for that info. By the way both of our's aged 9 and 7 were over the kiddie tab weight so they had the same Marolone strengh as us. I thought we might have had problems with son taking as their quite a large salmon pink tab. They were fine, they took after breakfast and again just before we were leaving the room when going for dinner. No obvious side effects for any of us.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
11 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Malarone is a combination of avotaquone and proguanil. The adult tablet contains 250mg/100mg and the pediatric tablet contains 62.5mg/25mg. How many tablets a child needs to take daily is dependent on his/her body weight. Over 40kg and the adult dosage is prescribed.

us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_malarone.pdf

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Has anyone been getting malarone on normal NHS prescription?

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

we got lucky with the kid's ones....the nurse that jabbed us weighed the kids and wrote their amounts on a post it note and told us to give this to the chemist. We did, then they stated that we needed to tell the doctor that the adult dose was need..... Rather then book another appointment I wrote a note and gave it to the receptionist at the doc's. When I collected they were two green script's so I handed these into Tesco and she was quite chatty, asked were we were going etc and did we have imodium etc etc....she asked me to sign the back as the kid's were under 16. So I did.....no charges what so ever, don't know if it was a mistake but she did seem to know her stuff.....I was quite a happy bunny though as I was expecting to pay £100 for the two.

The tabs for hubby and myself, we got two lot's for £80.....a guy at my golf club was due to go two months before us, but his wife had to go in for an op and they cancelled holiday, so he offered them to me.

Watford,UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
305 reviews
223 helpful votes
9. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Under footnote 1 page 335 of the British National Formulary it states :

" Drugs for malaria prophylaxis not prescribable on the NHS.

Health Authorities may invesigate circumstances under which antimalarials prescribed "

Them's the rules . We don't make it up. So Lara's doctor may face disciplinary action for his/her mistake.

P.S. Even GPs have to pay for their own and their families. And Practice Nurses . If there was a way around it we would find it !

cornwall
Level Contributor
34 posts
10. Re: How to save over £100 on Malarone

Hi Tony

Thanks for advise on malarone tablets, have been wondering where best place to get. Going to see travel nurse next week to have yellow fevor jabs (£40 each!) so will see about getting prescription then.

We've sent off for our visas, did it special delivery (don't forget the return envelope!) like you we like to try and get everything orginized before we go. We spent so long deciding on voyager, and can't wait till we go at the end of august - probably see you there- have become addicted to this site, have learnt a lot of stuff, think we should have missed the building work!

regards

Sue

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations