We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

I have a booked and paid for holiday leaving on Saturday, however I am a bit worried about the recent press reports. Is it safe to come to visit? Any tips?

Also...how much will a taxi cost from Mombasa Airport to Diani Beach?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Hi,

the recent press reports have highlighted the problems Kenya is facing at the moment mainly regarding having Somalia next door to put it in a few words.

I would not be worried about visiting Diani beach at the moment myself as the coast region has been pretty quiet since the pirate attacks some months ago. Diani beach is way to far south to be concerned with piracy/kidnap.

I would not be worried at all going at the moment.

Any tips? dont forget your suncream or anti-malaria meds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
2. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Taxis cost about 100 Ksh per kilometre, The Barclay's Centre at Diani is about 40 kilometres away from the airport so it would cost 4000 Ksh to this point.

You must negotiate and agree on the fare before getting into the taxi and you should choose a decent vehicle with working air conditioning, not a clapped out rust bucket :-)

…jetscreenshot.com/8419/20120111-fl1z-142kb.…

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Thank you. Very helpful

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Hi,

The coast resorts other than those in the Lamu area were always safe from the threat of pirates and the kidnap attacks as they were too far away from their bases in Somalia. That threat has receded anyway because of the security forces presence in the area and the fact that the Kenyan Army in Somalia has taken the towns that were used as bases for those attacks.

The situation changed after the Kenyan troops went into Somalia, the threat was no longer kidnappers, but terrorist reprisal attacks. There were two grenade attacks on working class Kenyan areas in Nairobi, but the perpetrators were quickly caught. There have been a few attacks in the town of Garissa, towards the Somali border, by Al Shabaab sympathisers, but other than that there has been nothing. The threat now is one we have lived with for decades in the UK, first from the IRA and more recently from Al Qaeda. The threat of a terrorist act, whic of course itf it happens could happen anywhere.

I think the situation now is that the geographic location is irrelevant, if Al Qaeda are assisting Al Shabaab, then it is the nature of the target chosen for its impact, that is important rather than its location.

But at the moment there are thousands of tourists here carrying on as usual, relaxing and enjoying their holiday

Dunbar, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Hi thanks for your post, we are a group of 5 comming to Diani Sea lodge at the end of Feb, My wife was a little concerned with all the recent activity going on. ( she is the worrying type) but your message has gone a long way to ease her fears .... thank you..

Edited: 12 January 2012, 09:34
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

I have just had a reply from the Diani Beach Resort. They have assured me that things are fine there and that they have their own security at the hotel. So...I have packed my bags, and Mombasa here I come!!!

Thank you for all your reassurance's!

Mombasa
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
7. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Yes, Mombasa is very safe. Mombasa is one of the Safest parts of this Country.

Welcome and enjoy!!!!!!

Mombasa
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
8. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Mombasa and Coast Tourist Association the tourism Association that brings together all Tourism stakeholders.

We serve to give our guests correct information about the destinations current situations.

In regard to your concern, i wish confirm to you,Mombasa is a very very safe place.

You are welcome, you will enjoy your holiday for sure.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

We are here now and it is very safe, and very beautiful. Come and have a great time!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Diani Beach? is Mombasa safe to visit?

Well.....I have just returned from one of the best holidays I have ever had!

YES it is safe, the people are GREAT, so friendly....fab beach, wondefull sunshine....I will be returning, that's for sure!

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations